[SOLVED] Please Help! Corsair HX1000i Strange Noise

S.S

Jan 10, 2020
I've had the Corsair HX1000i PSU for about 3 years now and recently installed it with a new (water-cooled) build. However, I am noticing a strange buzzing noise coming from the PSU (towards the rear, at the back wall plug end). Should I immediately disconnect the PSU, to prevent damage? What do you think is causing the problem. I am not noticing any performance impacts...Please watch the following Imgur video link with your audio turned on to identify the issue.

Solution
Sounds like either coil whine or switching of a relay. Think that it doesn't sound like something wrong.

Maybe something to do with how the pump of the coler is powered, can't say, can only think of this since you say it started after building/using that loop.

S.S

Jan 10, 2020
You mean I should replace the power cable that goes from the PSU to the wall? What do you think is causing the strange noise? Is it only related to the cable? It wasn't making any noises with my previous build.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like either coil whine or switching of a relay. Think that it doesn't sound like something wrong.

Maybe something to do with how the pump of the coler is powered, can't say, can only think of this since you say it started after building/using that loop.

Solution
So, if it just started doing this, we have to look at what's changed.

You say it's a "new build" so it could be a lot of things. :(

The most typical cause I've seen for this is a ground loop on the +5VSB. In other words: Something introducing noise back to the +5VSB. Either RAM or USB.

On my daughter's computer, I can reproduce this exact same noise by taking her powered USB hub and plugging the power source into a different +5V (e.g. +5V instead of +5VSB or a +5V wall wart). If I plug the hub and the hub power into the same source (two adjacent USB ports, for example), the buzz goes away.