[SOLVED] Please help!! Desperately trying to install xfinity.

Aug 6, 2020
I have the xfinity wifi self-install kit. It has a coax cable for the modem, and there is no signal when I plug it into either of my coax cables inside. Both of these are male ends, so I bought female adapters. I went to the splitter outside and everything is plugged in. I tried plugging the modem right into the coax input outside and still nothing. I had to use an adapter here as well. Can my coaxial cable be turned off somehow? My house is wired for ethernet, but the xfinity seems to necessitate coax. I have been trying to figure this out for two days and am at wit's end.

Solution
I tried plugging the modem's coax directly into the input coax that goes into the splitter. I unplugged it from the splitter.
I was going to suggest trying that. Sounds like the signal isn't activated or it's a bad cable. I would call comcast and confirm that you should have signal, and if so, let them know that you don't. Hopefully they can send a tech to fix any signal issues to outside for free, and then you can complete the install inside like normal, which is super-easy.

USAFRet

Titan
Did you call xfinity to verify the signal is ON?

This type of connection is a coax from their box on the outside of the house, to the router.
Ethernet after the router.
So you have to determine the coax connections inside your house. What you are plugging in to may not be actually connected to where it needs to be.

Reactions: King_V
Aug 6, 2020
Thank you for answering! It says to plug it into coax, then check for connection on the modem. The modem is trying to connect but cannot. My outside cable is buried into the ground.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, it is possible that the coax is turned off. Or, in my case, I had service with Comcast, then switched to Verizon, then several years later, went back to Comcast.

Comcast switched it on, and my modem got no signal. Turns out that the cable went bad somewhere underground, so they had to run a new cable underground from the junction box to my house.

I tried plugging the modem right into the coax input outside and still nothing.
This is what makes me think it's the cabling underground. If you tried connecting the modem to the cable that goes from outside to inside the house, and it still doesn't work, that's a Comcast problem, if I'm understanding this correctly.

Aug 6, 2020
Thank you! I have ethernet wired into the house from a separate box outside. Is it possible for me to convert the ethernet wire inside into a coax so I could plug into it?

Your comcast service will require that their modem (or any docsis3.0 modem) stands between the coax and your home ethernet. You can't convert ethernet to coax.

Coax->modem->router->ethernet. Comcast usually supplies their modem and router as a single box that may also include a wifi.

I tried plugging the modem's coax directly into the input coax that goes into the splitter. I unplugged it from the splitter.
I was going to suggest trying that. Sounds like the signal isn't activated or it's a bad cable. I would call comcast and confirm that you should have signal, and if so, let them know that you don't. Hopefully they can send a tech to fix any signal issues to outside for free, and then you can complete the install inside like normal, which is super-easy.

Reactions: King_V
Solution
Another thing that can happen is that if you change services the new company will sever the line for the old company. Either intentionally or unintentionally. And through incompetence. I had that happen several times when switching from comcast to a new fiber provider.

At this point it sounds like you've done everything reasonable, even above and beyond, and you need to get comcast on the phone to figure out what is going on. Good luck.

Reactions: SamirD and King_V