Please Help - Dimension 8200-Hard Drive Problem ??

I have a Dimension 8200 with a 40GB Primary Drive and a 120GB Secondary Drive both on the Primary IDE controller. When I start the machine I get this message :

Warning: Dell's disk monitoring system has detected that drive 1 on the primary IDE controller is operating outside of normal specifications. It is advisable to immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. Strike F1 to retry boot or F2 to Enter setup.

If I hit F1 the system boots fine and runs well. When I run HD tach on the C: drive it shows speeds consistently at the 30 - 36 MB/s range. All I can expect from a 4 year old Maxtor 40 GB drive. Both drives defragged with no problem.
When I run the test on the D: drive the maximum speed is much higher (65 MB/s) , but it spikes up and down from 3 MB/s to 60 MB/s in a sawtooth kind of pattern on the graph. This is a much better drive than the C: drive so I'd expect it to be faster. I think the D: drive is giving up the ghost and needs to be replaced. Any opinions on that ? Also do I need to upgrade the BIOS to install a 160 or 200 GB drive ? Currently running A01 Bios, but would rather not touch it. TIA for your comments.

Yes, it is the secondary drive that it is failing, drive 0 would be your
primary drive. As long as you are running Windows XP SP1 or later, either of
the larger drives should work fine. If you get a new drive though, you may
want to image your 40gb to it and use the new one as the primary for better
performance.

"Tom D." <delo724@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dimension 8200 with a 40GB Primary Drive and a 120GB Secondary
>Drive both on the Primary IDE controller. When I start the machine I get
>
> Warning: Dell's disk monitoring system has detected that drive 1 on the
> primary IDE controller is operating outside of normal specifications. It
> is advisable to immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk
> drive. Strike F1 to retry boot or F2 to Enter setup.
>
> If I hit F1 the system boots fine and runs well. When I run HD tach on the
> C: drive it shows speeds consistently at the 30 - 36 MB/s range. All I can
> expect from a 4 year old Maxtor 40 GB drive. Both drives defragged with no
> problem.
> When I run the test on the D: drive the maximum speed is much higher (65
> MB/s) , but it spikes up and down from 3 MB/s to 60 MB/s in a sawtooth
> kind of pattern on the graph. This is a much better drive than the C:
> drive so I'd expect it to be faster. I think the D: drive is giving up the
> ghost and needs to be replaced. Any opinions on that ? Also do I need to
> upgrade the BIOS to install a 160 or 200 GB drive ? Currently running A01
> Bios, but would rather not touch it. TIA for your comments.
>

> --------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
> ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
> -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-

"Tom D." <delo724@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dimension 8200 with a 40GB Primary Drive and a 120GB Secondary
>Drive both on the Primary IDE controller. When I start the machine I get
>
> Warning: Dell's disk monitoring system has detected that drive 1 on the
> primary IDE controller is operating outside of normal specifications. It
> is advisable to immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk
> drive. Strike F1 to retry boot or F2 to Enter setup.
>
> If I hit F1 the system boots fine and runs well. When I run HD tach on the
> C: drive it shows speeds consistently at the 30 - 36 MB/s range. All I can
> expect from a 4 year old Maxtor 40 GB drive. Both drives defragged with no
> problem.
> When I run the test on the D: drive the maximum speed is much higher (65
> MB/s) , but it spikes up and down from 3 MB/s to 60 MB/s in a sawtooth
> kind of pattern on the graph. This is a much better drive than the C:
> drive so I'd expect it to be faster. I think the D: drive is giving up the
> ghost and needs to be replaced. Any opinions on that ? Also do I need to
> upgrade the BIOS to install a 160 or 200 GB drive ? Currently running A01
> Bios, but would rather not touch it. TIA for your comments.
>

> --------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
> ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
> -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-

Yep. That's 120gb of data preparing to bite the dust my man. Back it up at
your earliest convenience.

I'm not sure if the 8200 will exceed 120gb w/o the flash, but someone in
here will. You could always try either capacity drive and then flash only
if needed.

Stew

Download the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics and test the 120GB drive.
That should pinpoint the type of drive malfunction... Ben Myers

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:54:24 -0400, "Tom D." <delo724@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a Dimension 8200 with a 40GB Primary Drive and a 120GB Secondary Drive both on the Primary IDE controller. When I start the machine I get this message :
>
>Warning: Dell's disk monitoring system has detected that drive 1 on the primary IDE controller is operating outside of normal specifications. It is advisable to immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. Strike F1 to retry boot or F2 to Enter setup.
>
>If I hit F1 the system boots fine and runs well. When I run HD tach on the C: drive it shows speeds consistently at the 30 - 36 MB/s range. All I can expect from a 4 year old Maxtor 40 GB drive. Both drives defragged with no problem.
> When I run the test on the D: drive the maximum speed is much higher (65 MB/s) , but it spikes up and down from 3 MB/s to 60 MB/s in a sawtooth kind of pattern on the graph. This is a much better drive than the C: drive so I'd expect it to be faster. I think the D: drive is giving up the ghost and needs to be replaced. Any opinions on that ? Also do I need to upgrade the BIOS to install a 160 or 200 GB drive ? Currently running A01 Bios, but would rather not touch it. TIA for your comments.

>------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
>-= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-

Thanks everybody for the helpful comments. I'll let you know what happens.

- Tom D. -