Not open for further replies.

the_groosalugg_

Honorable
Jan 8, 2019
Lenovo V330-15IKB
i5 8250u, 8gb ram
W10 v 1809

So my external HDD will randomly disconnect and reconnect, very often
I use it to watch videos, so this is no good as it disconnects and VLC player crashes

the facts:
I have 2 HDDs - happens with both
I have 2 different cables (USB Type A to Micro B) + (USB Type C to Micro B) - happens to both

This is 100% an issue with the laptop, its USB 3 port and Windows 10,

used to be I uninstall all USB controllers in device manager, restart laptop and the problem is fixed. Though it will come back eventually in a few months

Today is won't fix, no matter what drivers I uninstall I have this problem.

Been having problems with USB 3 since 2011. Back then I had an outdated Mobo (2012), but this is a new machine only 1 year old.

Please help me not throw it out of the window

Many thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Does the issue crop up on a donor system? FYI, you shouldn't watch videos off of a external HDD. It's best if you copied the content onto your drive and then finished watching it off your laptop. You may want to see if the laptop has any BIOS updates pending. Then try and uninstall and reinstall the chipset drivers for your laptop.

the_groosalugg_

Honorable
Jan 8, 2019
Does the issue crop up on a donor system? FYI, you shouldn't watch videos off of a external HDD. It's best if you copied the content onto your drive and then finished watching it off your laptop. You may want to see if the laptop has any BIOS updates pending. Then try and uninstall and reinstall the chipset drivers for your laptop.

Thanks for your reply
what is a donor system? I tried to google it, but only getting referrences of other mentions, I have not tried this before
why is it not ok to use an external HDD for video watching? I know others do this too but I seem to be the unlucky one. I just assumed that no matter if internal/external the drive is constantly reading/writing so it will eventually fail. I used to have a desktop machine with a 3tb internal HDD that randomly died (seagate barracuda) and I lost about 50% of my content
yeah I tried to check for updates with windows and Lenovo Vantage but neither is telling me there are any, I uninstalled half the drivers in device manager, ran CCleaner for registry and general clean up then restarted. This morning when I launched my laptop immediately I received an error code I did not have time to read about device not being recognised and it relaunched, but I can access the drive fine now, and now just sitting and waiting to see if it happens again.

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.