[SOLVED] Please help, freezing computer

May 27, 2021
Hi everyone , maybe you can give me some advice here.

Let me start with explaining the issue I'm having.

I was playing a game and streaming a show at the same time and my computer just completely froze up out of nowhere (first time it's ever just froze). So I shut down and restart, windows loads up fine I go to click on my browser and it freezes completely again. I try again to restart and now I can only get into bios (i can sit in bios for as long as I want but cannot load windows without it freezing up.

First I've tried unplugging my SSD and trying to boot with a USB stick with windows installed on it...I see windows logo and then bam it freezes.
I then tried a new stick of ram, same problem freezes
I unplug my graphics card and boot with video out from motherboard. Freezes.
I replace PSU with new PSU . Freezes.

I believe I've narrowed it down to either mobo or cpu. But I'm afraid to spend more money because things are gonna get expensive now.

Any ideas what it could be? anything else to try ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs

Asus H170 Pro
I5 6600
Gtx970

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
I don't think it will work with that board.
The CPUs supported by that board are here.

If you go to a motherboards "support" section on any manufacturer's website...there is always a section that shows which CPUs that MB supports and which BIOS is the earliest that it will work with.
If you look at the link...that's what I'm talking about.
May 27, 2021
PCU means PSU correct?

I would power down and reseat (unplug and replug) everything except the CPU (all cables and cards).
I would also remove the CMOS battery while I was doing this and put it back when I finished.
Then I'd try it again.
Ok so I tried unplugging everything , removing everything except the cpu , removed the 2032 battery. Plugged it all back in, restarted and it freezes again at the "asus" screen...

May 27, 2021
Well....I think you might have it narrowed down to the CPU or MB and in my world it's usually the motherboard. You could try and reseat the CPU at this point just for something to try but...I think you may be correct.
maybe a stupid question, can the motherboard still be a problem even tho it works in bios fine?

maybe a stupid question, can the motherboard still be a problem even tho it works in bios fine?
Not a stupid question....but the answer is yes.
You can also have faults on a MB that you never really "see" until you use a certain feature.
Then there are faults that 100% cause crashing all the time.
I think you have covered your bases pretty well.
You pretty much covered the memory, the PSU and the GPU.
You have to make your best guess....and I think at this point my best guess would be MB.

May 27, 2021
Not a stupid question....but the answer is yes.
You can also have faults on a MB that you never really "see" until you use a certain feature.
Then there are faults that 100% cause crashing all the time.
I think you have covered your bases pretty well.
You pretty much covered the memory, the PSU and the GPU.
You have to make your best guess....and I think at this point my best guess would be MB.
Thank you so much for answering my questions, I really appreciate it, I'm just learning now about all this stuff which I'm finding very interesting..
I have another question I'm looking at replacing the motherboard , I found 1 that will probably work it has an lga1151 which I need for my i5 6600, but it says it supports8th and 9th gen? Does this mean my i5 6600 will not work with this? I'm looking at a Asus Prime B365M-A LGA -1151.

If you go to a motherboards "support" section on any manufacturer's website...there is always a section that shows which CPUs that MB supports and which BIOS is the earliest that it will work with.

Solution
May 27, 2021

I will definitely do some research I didn't realize there was alittle more to it. Thanks again

I will definitely do some research I didn't realize there was alittle more to it. Thanks again
You're welcome.
It's pretty simple.
Just make sure the MB supports your CPU.
...and there's one more thing...if the CPU requires a newer BIOS...there may be motherboards out there that haven't been upgraded to that BIOS....and if you buy one of those....you have to update it yourself.
I try to avoid this.
I try buying an MB with the proper BIOS installed so I don't have to go through that extra work.

May 27, 2021
You're welcome.
It's pretty simple.
Just make sure the MB supports your CPU.
...and there's one more thing...if the CPU requires a newer BIOS...there may be motherboards out there that haven't been upgraded to that BIOS....and if you buy one of those....you have to update it yourself.
I try to avoid this.
I try buying an MB with the proper BIOS installed so I don't have to go through that extra work.
Just alittle follow up , it was indeed the motherboard I recently replaced it with a new one, and is working fine now.