Question Please help, gaming fps drops, overall pc perfomance hit.

Jsantana

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
First and foremost this is my rig
It's an alienware laptop 17 R3
Geforce GTX 980
driver version 431.86
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ @2.60GHz
16 GB RAM
1920 x 1080 60Hz display

Okay so this is what's been happening and it's driving me absolutely mad.
I play a lot of overwatch and frames win games. My rig is more than capable of running the game on epic settings and getting 60FPS without a problem.
I logged into the game today and immediately i notice something isn't right. I get in game and the fps is suffering, going from my much needed 60 fps down to as low as 25-30. it's very erratic and is accompanied by occasional horrifying sound distortion making the game absolutely unplayeable. Reformatting the rig fixes the issue but it is a lengthy time consuming process that quite frankly I am getting absolutely sick of doing it.

I don't take my laptop around much it's bulky and heavy. It's usually stationary for lengthy periods of time. This problem mostly occurs whenever I pack it up move it and then take it out and set it up again.
It's not only the game I notice overall pc performance issues. slow browser loading etc. Please somebody help me, i even adjusted the power plan. I've tried many things to remedy this please help i don't want to reformat again or everytime this occurs.

ASK THE COMMUNITY