[SOLVED] Please help having crashes with message anti power surge triggered with 1200w psu

Feb 7, 2020
I have a computer with a 1200w power supply from thermaltake and recently I have been having problems with it. Light games like Csgo run perfectly but when I go to play something different like battlefield v, my computer shutdowns and restarts with the message anti power surge triggered. What I find weird is when I run a full tilt benchmark in unigine heaven, it doesn’t crash even for 20 min. How can it be that my computer crashes after I load up battlefield v and not when running a full tilt benchmark. Please help this just started happening and I can’t find a solution. Any ideas?

Solution
Thermaltake Tough power Grand RGB 1200W 80+ Platinum. I do have my cable plugged into a surge suppression outlet, but Isn’t it unsafe to startup with anti surge protection.

The Asus "anti surge detection" is Chinglish. It's not really "detecting" a surge. Think about it. Your motherboard is on the DC side and power surges are on the AC side. It burps up that error whenever the PC reboots unexpectadly. Not because of actual "surges".

It's known broken mess software and should be disabled: https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/1552794-asus-anti-surge-broken-mess.html#

Having it enabled actually makes troubleshooting more difficult because it always burps up the same B.S. error whenever the PC...

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
My guess would be some kind of driver issue or incompatibility. I had a similar issue with certain games with Directx drivers. I wiped and re loaded my GPU graphics drivers and it was my solution.
Do your GPU fans ramp up all the way before it power cycles or anything like that?

Feb 7, 2020
I have 2 hybrid titan x Maxwell cards with the g12 bracket and just have the fans set to almost max speed all the time. There is a Nvidia is driver update available for the graphics card that just recently came out and I will try that to see if it fixes anything.

Feb 7, 2020
The nvidia driver was definitely not the problem. Whenever I’m playing games my 3.3v Rail drops to about 2.8-2.9 output. That doesn’t look normal. If not is there any way I can fix this?

I have a computer with a 1200w power supply from thermaltake and recently I have been having problems with it. Light games like Csgo run perfectly but when I go to play something different like battlefield v, my computer shutdowns and restarts with the message anti power surge triggered. What I find weird is when I run a full tilt benchmark in unigine heaven, it doesn’t crash even for 20 min. How can it be that my computer crashes after I load up battlefield v and not when running a full tilt benchmark. Please help this just started happening and I can’t find a solution. Any ideas?

What PSU?

Also, disable "anti-surge" in the BIOS and in Windows advanced system properties, uncheck "automatically restart" under "startup and recovery".

Feb 7, 2020
Thermaltake Tough power Grand RGB 1200W 80+ Platinum. I do have my cable plugged into a surge suppression outlet, but Isn’t it unsafe to startup with anti surge protection.

The Asus "anti surge detection" is Chinglish. It's not really "detecting" a surge. Think about it. Your motherboard is on the DC side and power surges are on the AC side. It burps up that error whenever the PC reboots unexpectadly. Not because of actual "surges".

It's known broken mess software and should be disabled: https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/1552794-asus-anti-surge-broken-mess.html#

Having it enabled actually makes troubleshooting more difficult because it always burps up the same B.S. error whenever the PC reboots.

Solution
Feb 7, 2020
If asus anti surge protection is being triggered and my 3.3v rail is outputting 2.8-2.9v then my 3.3v rail is not the cause of the anti surge protection being triggered. Do you know what might be triggering it?

If asus anti surge protection is being triggered and my 3.3v rail is outputting 2.8-2.9v then my 3.3v rail is not the cause of the anti surge protection being triggered. Do you know what might be triggering it?

Are you checking that number with a multi-meter or some B.S. software?

Your PSU does not have digital monitoring. Software is not going to give you an accurate number.

Let's assume for a minute that the reading is accurate at the IC on the motherboard where HWmonitor is getting the info.

It's more likely that either you have a +3.3V that's either loose or making poor contact than it is the PSU not properly outputting +3.3V. So it's not going to hurt to double check your 24-pin's connection to the motherboard.

But there's not much that uses the +3.3V. Nothing too critical, at least. Can you list all of your hardware?

Feb 7, 2020
Case: thermaltake view 71
Mobo: asus x99-A II
CPU: I7 6900k (4.1ghz)
GPU: titan x Maxwell hybrid cooled with g12 bracket and 2x nzxt 140mm aio’s (overclocked)
Ram: 16gb of Corsair vengeance rgb pro
Cooler: Corsair 360mm aio (H150i pro)
Storage: 1x Samsung nvme 500gb and 1x seagate 500gb firecuda
PSU: Thermaltake Tough power Grand RGB 1200W 80+ Platinum
Fans: 4x thermaltake pure plus 12 rgb
Monitor: AW2518H
Keyboard: K95 RGB platinum
Mouse: G903
Headset: hyper cloud flight

Feb 7, 2020
It’s weird because, when my computer crashes in the middle of bfv everything inside my computer will stay on and the computer will just reboot without turning off. But sometimes when bfv does crash it completely turns off and restarts. And FYI I’m not able to control my ram sticks through ICUE. Even after a bios flash. Not sure why.

I've had this same power supply fail on me. It worked for several years, then started doing what you just mentioned. I switched to a SeaSonic PSU and the problem went away. This is actually the second Thermaltake I've had die on me, though the other was many years ago. Some of them are actually made by SeaSonic, but I don't know about that particular one (I like SeaSonic).