Question Please help, I feel like I've tried EVERYTHING. Micro stuttering in just about everything

Apr 25, 2019
Allow me to begin with my PC specs.....

i7 6700k
GTX 1660 ti
MSI z170a m5
16 gb ddr4 Corsair
Seagate Barracuda 1tb HDD
Windows 10 64 bit

I have started to really get annoyed by this micro stutter problem within the last 2 weeks. I am probably noticing it more, because I just went from a gtx 970 to this gtx 1660 ti (gtx 970 died) and I was really excited about the performance upgrade. It is an annoying micro stutter in just about every game. Its really hard to put my finger on it because it doesn't seem like the issue is consistent. I can normally boot up a game and play fairly smooth for a bit, then the micro stuttering and fps drops can come after playing for some time. I am very sensitive to smooth game play, and I'm sure that there are some who wouldn't be affected, or notice, but especially in rocket league, having the smoothest possible game play is an absolute necessity. The other games I've noticed this on lately (since the new gpu ) are Apex, CS:GO, Rising storm 2 and Battlefield 4.

The other reason I'm creating this thread is because I feel like I've tried just about everything to try and fix this issue...

First, I historically set my games video settings to medium, because getting the best performance is the most important thing to me. In rocket league specifically, I turn just about everything to it's lowest setting (same set up that the pro's use), while keeping my fps capped at 150. The other thing I've noticed about this issue is that I can still experience the stutter while having good overall fps.

-monitoring temps--my temps have not been the cause of the issue, there has been no overheating.
-fresh install of Windows... several times!
-gpu drivers are up to date, along with several installs and an uninstall/reinstall using DDU
-overclocking cpu... I have since reverted since this didn't fix my issue.
-switching gpu and ram locations on the mobo.
-a wide variety of settings through Nvidia control panel to provide maximum performance, turning off vsync ect......
-turning off/disabling as many extra windows features as I can (ones that aren't essential to the OS of course)
-enabling xmp in bios.

I will also list some benchmark results below... on paper this pc looks good and performs well. In real life use, its less than ideal and I'm just not happy with it.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16430540
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6911446

I'm going nuts trying to get this issue figured out... any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
Userbenchmark is something that shouldn't exist in reality. It's only making a mess of the community.

You forgot to include the make and model of your PSU and the version for your OS. Did you recreate the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools to rule out a corrupt installer? What is the make and model of your monitor and how are you connected to it? Latest BIOS for your motherboard?

Apr 25, 2019
It is Windows 10 Home. I did use a media creation tool... keep in mind, I only did the windows re-install to try and fix this issue... which it did not.

My Psu is a Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12.
My Monitor is an Asus vg248qe-and I do have all nvidia and windows settings putting it at 144 hz.

Jun 16, 2019
I am having the same issue right now with my msi 1660 to.

System specs:

Mobo: MSI x470 gaming plus
Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600
Gpu: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 TI
Ram: 2x8gb Corsair vengeance 3000mhz set at 2800
Psu: EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ Gold 750W, Semi Modular, ECO Mode, 5 Year Warranty, Power Supply 210-GQ-0750-V1

Temps are good and my parts aren’t hitting 100%. I too have redone drivers and even reinstalled windows. I disabled unneeded processes yet I still get a microstutter in all games at like a set interval of time. I was curious if you guys ever solved this issue. I will say since the windows reinstall the stutters do not start right away. Maybe like 20 mins in and I think my average framerate tho remaining high and constant does appear lower when the stutters happen. Please help me I’m ripping my hair out and it’s been like three weeks of this.

Edit: Does live update do my drivers for the cpu? The Ryzen master doesn’t give me an option. I’m new to pc hardware/software and this is my first build.

Last edited: