[SOLVED] Please help! I got thermal paste on my new X570 Aourus Pro cpu socket!

UKickAss

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
While i was removing the stock ryzen cooler I couldn't get the cpu to dislodge, i twisted and pulled the cooler but it just wouldn't come off, eventually the cpu got ripped out the socket at which point i was able to pry the cpu off. But, when i did that the cpu hit the motherboard and 3 pins bent, i managed to straighten them out but got thermal paste on the cpu pins during the process, the thermal paste is all the at the base of the pins which I can't reach. Ontop of that, while i was freaking out about the bent pins some thermal paste from the base of the wraith prism dripped onto the cpu socket and now they're inside the holes so I can't clean them out. Someone please help me i don't know what to do i desperately need to fix this pc as it's the only one i got. This pc is 2 days old btw.

Solution
I managed to fix it. I pulled the CPU pins back with a pair of tweezers and then aligned them up using a thin card by sliding it into the row of pins. Then I got a sewing needle and very slowly picked out most of the thermal paste out of the holes. Then I inserted the CPU in, installed the AIO, then hit the power button and everything surprisingly worked! I was so relieved at that point :sweatsmile::sweatsmile:. I think it might have used up all my good luck for the next 5 years haha.

Below I posted before and after pictures of the CPU socket (the before shot was after I had cleaned off the excess thermal paste sitting on top).

Thermal Paste Cleanup

Thanks for the help anyway man! Appreciate it!
Jan 9, 2019
I never have had to use it on a Motherboard but I have read that the CRC Electornics cleaner will work.
Use at your own risk and google it before you use it. Things have to be unplugged and the board has to dry before you can turn it back on etc....
CRC Electronics Cleaner

UKickAss

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
I never have had to use it on a Motherboard but I have read that the CRC Electornics cleaner will work.
Use at your own risk and google it before you use it. Things have to be unplugged and the board has to dry before you can turn it back on etc....
CRC Electronics Cleaner
Would it be possible to get a replacement or rma? I checked gigabyte's warranty website and it just says "Please contact the location where the original order was placed." Which for me is amazon but i highly doubt they would replace or refund me

UKickAss

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
CRC Electronics Cleaner
So i looked up that product but unfortunately I can't find it in the uk but i find this equivalent on amazon: WD40 Fast Drying Contact Cleaner 250ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KPUBO2S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_s5wwDbPQM8VS4

Would this also work?

Jan 9, 2019
Well I read where someguy was buying stuff and getting RMA and returning dirt......
They eventually found out after he had rooked them out of 350K.
Crap shoot either way I guess.

UKickAss

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
I managed to fix it. I pulled the CPU pins back with a pair of tweezers and then aligned them up using a thin card by sliding it into the row of pins. Then I got a sewing needle and very slowly picked out most of the thermal paste out of the holes. Then I inserted the CPU in, installed the AIO, then hit the power button and everything surprisingly worked! I was so relieved at that point :sweatsmile::sweatsmile:. I think it might have used up all my good luck for the next 5 years haha.

Below I posted before and after pictures of the CPU socket (the before shot was after I had cleaned off the excess thermal paste sitting on top).

Thermal Paste Cleanup

Thanks for the help anyway man! Appreciate it!

Solution