Please help...i need wired internet for a Surface 2 Pro and an Xbox 360. Using only one Ethernet "jack".

mmbatt

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
My son's dorm is an internet connectivity nightmare. WiFi is unusable, even for basic web surfing. They are given one ethernet jack. Here is what he needs:

a) Surface 2 pro to internet
b) Xbox 360 to internet
c) printer to Surface

*They are not allowed to create their own wifi network from the wired network
*The Surface has no ethernet port and only one usb port
*The printer has only usb and wireless, so it has to connect to computer via usb.
*Xbox has ethernet and usb ports

Belkin makes a 3-Port USB 3.0 Hub with a gigabit ethernet adapter. I could use this on the usb port on the surface and get ethernet and another usb port for the printer.

So.. I have an old wireless router that has 4 Ethernet ports. Could I use that to go between the school's jack and the computer/Xbox? Can I just attach an ethernet switch to the school's jack? If I connected Xbox to the belkin adapter with usb, would it also be connected to the internet? Is there any other way to configure this?

And the Xbox is not negotiable LOL

Please please help! I'm completely stumped! Am I making this too difficult?

Thank you so much.

Solution

It's possible the school has an IT webpage with guidelines on the use of student provided network equipment.

Any wireless capable routers (even with wifi disabled) are usually restricted for network integrity and security reasons. Even non-wireless routers may not be permitted.

A network switch may be allowed, but it's not possible to state for certain if it or a wired router will work. Again, it's best...

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

It's possible the school has an IT webpage with guidelines on the use of student provided network equipment.

Any wireless capable routers (even with wifi disabled) are usually restricted for network integrity and security reasons. Even non-wireless routers may not be permitted.

A network switch may be allowed, but it's not possible to state for certain if it or a wired router will work. Again, it's best to check with the IT department.

The XBox will only work with USB network adapters specifically designed for it, and will likely not work with the Belkin adapter. If you are allowed to use a network switch in your room, you'll be able to plug into that directly.

Solution

mmbatt

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
Thank you very much. School's usage rules said nothing about this, so I used a splitter along with the belkin ethernet usb adapter. Printer is connected to the Surface, Surface and Xbox are using the one ethernet jack. As a bonus, we found that both can use the ethernet at the same time, although that rarely happens. Thanks to you, we're all set!