Please Help : IE Problem !

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

I have Windows ME on my Intel Celeron 2Ghz desktop PC.
Recently, a friend of mine (I thought he was really tech
savvy) did some editing in my system registry and since
then my internet explorer has stopped working. I have a
broadband internet connection (128kbps) and have been
reconfirmed by the service provider that the service is
running.

After connecting to the internet, whenever I open the
Internet explorer and type any website name, it instantly
gives "this page can not be be displayed" error.

Please help me out of this deadlock !! Many thanks in
advance.

..

If you are unable to connect to any web site, including that of the
broadband ISP, then I suspect you have a network configuration problem,
probably involving a misdirection to the ISP's DNS server.

Nevertheless, you may wish to rule out an IE problem by running the IE
repair tool, accessed by beginning to uninstall IE, using Add-Remove
Programs. Upon selecting Microsoft IE for removal, you will be presented
with three options, one of which is to repair IE. Choose it.

If the internet connection problem persists, please repost the problem in
our sister WindowsME ng, ...windowsme.networking, from the same news
server, whre any number of very qualified commenters will help you.
To prepare for their response/s, you may wish to peruse
Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"George" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Windows ME on my Intel Celeron 2Ghz desktop PC.
> Recently, a friend of mine (I thought he was really tech
> savvy) did some editing in my system registry and since
> then my internet explorer has stopped working. I have a
> broadband internet connection (128kbps) and have been
> reconfirmed by the service provider that the service is
> running.
>
> After connecting to the internet, whenever I open the
> Internet explorer and type any website name, it instantly
> gives "this page can not be be displayed" error.
>
> Please help me out of this deadlock !! Many thanks in
> advance.
>
> .

> Recently, a friend of mine .. did some editing
> in my system registry

If very recently (last few days) AND only if that's all he did, you could
try running System Restore and roll-back to before the 'editing' took place.
With a bit of luck, it should get you back to where you were.

Mart

"George" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows ME on my Intel Celeron 2Ghz desktop PC.
> Recently, a friend of mine (I thought he was really tech
> savvy) did some editing in my system registry and since
> then my internet explorer has stopped working. I have a
> broadband internet connection (128kbps) and have been
> reconfirmed by the service provider that the service is
> running.
>
> After connecting to the internet, whenever I open the
> Internet explorer and type any website name, it instantly
> gives "this page can not be be displayed" error.
>
> Please help me out of this deadlock !! Many thanks in
> advance.
>
> .

George,

You can try restoring the registry to a date previous to that "editing".

Start > Run > type SCANREG /RESTORE (note space between G and /) and press
enter.

You will be presented 5 dates, select the one just BEFORE editing the
registry. Reboot and test.

If the problem was that edit bit, you may be out of trouble.

Good luck,

Zee

"George" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Windows ME on my Intel Celeron 2Ghz desktop PC.
> Recently, a friend of mine (I thought he was really tech
> savvy) did some editing in my system registry and since
> then my internet explorer has stopped working. I have a
> broadband internet connection (128kbps) and have been
> reconfirmed by the service provider that the service is
> running.
>
> After connecting to the internet, whenever I open the
> Internet explorer and type any website name, it instantly
> gives "this page can not be be displayed" error.
>
> Please help me out of this deadlock !! Many thanks in
> advance.
>
> .

I am SOOOO happy you fixed it so simply!