[SOLVED] PLEASE HELP: Intel i7-6700K Core 1 is 20 degrees higher than other cores under load?!

Mighty_Mo

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
Hi All,

I recently got the NZXT Kraken X63 and installed it. Swapped it out from the Noctua NH-U12.

Once installed, I ran some tests under load and realized core 1 has higher temps than core 0,2,3.

I cant remember the temps before the swap but I'm hoping you guys might help me out?

I even updated the BIOS for my Z170-A board to the latest version hoping it may have been a sensor issue when I uninstalled the motherboard to get at the back-end for the backplate installation.

CPU: I7-6700K
Boost Clock: 4.4Ghz

Max VCore: Adaptive
VID 0: 1.240V
VID 1: 1.240V
VID 2: 1.240V
VID 3: 1.240V

Load testing application: Cinebench

Room Temperature: 20 degrees Celcius

Temps on HWMonitor:
Core 0: 58
Core 1: 77
Core 2: 52
Core 3: 57

Temps on Realtemp:
Core 0: 58
Core 1: 76
Core 2: 53
Core 3: 57

Temps at Idle
Core 0: 22
Core 1: 26
Core 2: 24
Core 3: 23

Please review and get back to me to help me out, cooler is great as it quite and runs very cool on all other cores under load

Solution
My core number 2 typically runs hotter than the other ones on my i9-9900K, although the difference isn't as much as yours is. There can be several reasons for this. The only case that you can possibly control is the distribution of the thermal paste between your CPU and heatsink. After you apply the paste, in whatever method you choose (pea size in the middle, square with a dot in the middle, etc..) you need to try to put the heatsink down on the CPU as flat as possible. Try not to put down one side of the heatsink first, if you know what I mean. After it's down, use a crisscross pattern when tightening it down gradually until all four fasteners are snug. If that doesn't help the situation, then other than de-lidding...
My core number 2 typically runs hotter than the other ones on my i9-9900K, although the difference isn't as much as yours is. There can be several reasons for this. The only case that you can possibly control is the distribution of the thermal paste between your CPU and heatsink. After you apply the paste, in whatever method you choose (pea size in the middle, square with a dot in the middle, etc..) you need to try to put the heatsink down on the CPU as flat as possible. Try not to put down one side of the heatsink first, if you know what I mean. After it's down, use a crisscross pattern when tightening it down gradually until all four fasteners are snug. If that doesn't help the situation, then other than de-lidding, there's not much you can do.

Delidding

Solution

Mighty_Mo

Prominent
Dec 7, 2020
My core number 2 typically runs hotter than the other ones on my i9-9900K, although the difference isn't as much as yours is. There can be several reasons for this. The only case that you can possibly control is the distribution of the thermal paste between your CPU and heatsink. After you apply the paste, in whatever method you choose (pea size in the middle, square with a dot in the middle, etc..) you need to try to put the heatsink down on the CPU as flat as possible. Try not to put down one side of the heatsink first, if you know what I mean. After it's down, use a crisscross pattern when tightening it down gradually until all four fasteners are snug. If that doesn't help the situation, then other than de-lidding, there's not much you can do.

Delidding
I ordered some thermal Grizzly Krynaught paste so I can try and re-sit the heatsink, wont be here for a few days though.
Once I have it, I will clean off the thermal paste with lint free cloth to eliminate and contaminants.
I will go with pea sized in the center of the CPU and carryout the method of attachment as advised.

I really want to avoid de-lidding. I am upgrading soon, as soon as AMD stock is back but had this CPU for years.

I will keep posted, if anyone else have any ideas please feel free to chime in.

Thank you for the feedback.

I ordered some thermal Grizzly Krynaught paste so I can try and re-sit the heatsink, wont be here for a few days though.
Once I have it, I will clean off the thermal paste with lint free cloth to eliminate and contaminants.
I will go with pea sized in the center of the CPU and carryout the method of attachment as advised.

I really want to avoid de-lidding. I am upgrading soon, as soon as AMD stock is back but had this CPU for years.

I will keep posted, if anyone else have any ideas please feel free to chime in.

Thank you for the feedback.
I agree. I would not de-lid either, especially if it's still running fine. Hopefully, reseating the heatsink and the new paste will improve the situation. Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS