caboose123blue

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014
So I'm looking for a new everyday driver and where I live it has to be a truck or SUV so I can get through the mud and snow. Recently i found a 1984 jeep cherokee v6 5-speed manual with low mileage. Body is good, interior is rough which is no big deal for me, and motor/transmission is good but wont stay running because it sat since August. My main question is if anyone can tell me about that year of cherokees and if it's worth the 500 bucks to mess with and if it'll be reliable. This is my first jeep and I dont know much history or much about them as I typically only deal with chevy.

I thought jeeps had an inline 6 cylinder?? My coworker buys a ton of those jeep cherokees, but all of his are late 90's are early 2000's. IF you're talking 1980's, those are the first couple years and I certainly wouldn't waste my money there. The jeep 6cylinder is basically bulletproof in the latter years, maybe a headgasket replacement needed at some point, but they run forever, especially with the manual trans. Don't buy an automatic, they all have problems after so many miles, in those jeeps.

Also, the jeep forum would know far more specifics that you're asking.