Mar 17, 2020
My laptop is 4 years old.

Specs:

intel i7-6700HQ

8GB ram

GTX 960m

1TB Hard Drive 7200rpm

It used to be able to run games fine... but now its pretty bad

I've done a complete reset of my windows which helped speed up the laptops function when surfing the internet and watching videos
but the moment I try games that it used to run fine.... well it's pretty bad. Bioshock infinite runs at <30fps

I used MSI afterburner and found that my CPU temps stay at around 75 to 80 degrees moving up to the low 80 degrees sometimes.

I tried MSI afterburner to detect GPU speeds but it stays at 0 degrees... it seems that the software does not work with the GPU.

Do any of you believe that the issue is most likely the GPU throttling? (I have never cleaned my laptop before)

Or could it also be old age. Any advice would be much appreciated. I do not know my computers that well so please forgive me if I appear to dumb. Not sure if I should try and save this machine or.... chuck it

I would very much appreciate any help thank you.

Solution
Make sure you've configured each game to use the high-performance Nvidia GPU (ie the GTX 960m) otherwise the much less capable Intel GPU will be used instead by default which will cause your laptop to struggle with games & other graphics intensive software.

(You may have configured games to use the Nvidia GPU in the past, but a Windows reset will have discarded those settings so you need to do them again)
Make sure you've configured each game to use the high-performance Nvidia GPU (ie the GTX 960m) otherwise the much less capable Intel GPU will be used instead by default which will cause your laptop to struggle with games & other graphics intensive software.

(You may have configured games to use the Nvidia GPU in the past, but a Windows reset will have discarded those settings so you need to do them again)

Reactions: IamsorryifIamdumb
Solution
Mar 17, 2020

:000 this was the problem haha... Thank you so much!

TRENDING THREADS