[SOLVED] Please help me!!! (2080 SUPER FPS ISSUES)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 9, 2019
Hey, guys, I'm hoping someone could help me out here. I recently upgraded to an EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra Gaming card from a 1080 and was hoping to get a crazy fps boost but my frames are around 75-90 fps in modern warfare at maxed-out settings running 1440p. On my 1080 I was getting about 60-70 fps but I assumed I would get to at least the monitors 144hz rate with the new card. I've tried all these oc settings for all my parts but it hasn't really had an effect on the fps that's consistent. My gpu never goes above 70c and my cpu doesnt go above 60c so i dont think it would be throttling from the heat. heres a list of my parts:

i7-8700k (4.7ghz)
EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra
g skill 16gb (3200mhz)
evga 650w gold rating psu
2* samsung 500gb ssd
1* hdd 2tb

let me know if there's any test you guys would like me to take or questions about my pc. I'm just trying to get the highest fps without sacrificing too much quality in games. I attached an image of my hwinfo results View: https://imgur.com/a/CMqXEOB

Solution
well I only had a 1080 not a TI and since they are practically the same price i just went with the newer one
You thought correctly. Yet you have to understand that a 1080 Ti although a beast, can not perform 1440p/144Hz with max settings in AAA games. Not even the 2080 Ti can. MAYBE the next gen 3080 Ti will and after 1 year there would be AAA games that will not get 144Hz.
Dec 9, 2019
Not always.
There's CFM, Static Pressure, and noise... but the manufacturers only seem to post those specifications for a fan's maximum rpm. They will be lower when running lower than that.
Then there's the fan curves for said fans, which far too few manufacturers post diagrams for. Some fans are stronger than others at the lower rpm range, but you won't know which from just looking at their specs.
Let's compare the current case fans with the 2000rpm Corsair fans you're considering as an example:

Aer F120
Speed: 1200 + 200 RPM
Airflow: 50.42 CFM
Noise: 28 dBA

ML120 Pro: Speed: 400 - 2400 RPM
Airflow: 75 CFM
Noise: 37 dBA

From just looking at the specs, the MLs blow away the Aers at max rpm, but a significantly more noise, and people seldom run their fans at 100% all the time, unless they're using fans with low rpms, like the Aer F120s.
Obviously, you'd run the MLs at a lower rpm, until you actually need that horsepower. There shouldn't be much reason to run the Aers lower though.
The Aers are pulling more air than the MLs also running at 1200rpm(that's their max anyway).

If you're sure you won't mind the extra noise created by the MLs, go ahead and put some in the front panel, but you'll have to run them at the higher rpms at least, to see any benefit.
hmm that really does put things in a better perspective. any fans you would suggest that would pull in more air then? I just need something that pushes more air through my case

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Want massive air 😁

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/industrial

120mm 3000rpm 186.7 m3/h = 109.8CFM, 43d. Then there's the 140mm's 3000rpm 158.5CFM 41.3d.

I can vouch for the raw power of these fans, since that's all I use in my cases. They make just as much noise as the regular NF-A14 and NF-A12 when they've been set to run at the latter's max rpms - the pitch is different though, since they're using a different motor in them.
Past that, though... ROARING JET ENGINE
Not a big deal to me, I I only run them at 100% when stress testing anyways. Other than that, I've set them to start at 50%.

I'd make for a terrible roommate! XD

Reactions: boju

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
hmm that really does put things in a better perspective. any fans you would suggest that would pull in more air then? I just need something that pushes more air through my case
You only need to concern yourself with the front intake fans - the rear and top exhausts are only dealing with the case grilles.
3 of these:
Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.89 CFM 120 mm Fan

1st choice too loud, LOL? Then 3 of these:
Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan

Color palette no good with the 2nd? Then 3 of these:
Corsair ML120 Pro 75 CFM 120 mm Fan

Want RGB, regardless that they're weaker than non-RGB models? Then 3 of these:
Corsair ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120 mm Fan

All the previous options are too expensive, you say? Need something a lil' easier on the wallet? Then this:
Cooler Master MF120R ARGB 3in1 59 CFM 120 mm Fans