Please help me activate 'Cool & Quiet' on stable FX 8370 OC

introaether

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Firstly, I have read some other threads regards the topic. But, they all seem so specific. So, I have some questions that might help me understand the process.

I currently have a stable OC on my FX 8370 (4.65MHz @ 1.332V). However, during the overclocking process I disabled 'cool and quiet' and I'd now like to turn it back on - There are often long periods of time when my system is on, but idle.

I popped back into the BIOS and enabled 'C&Q', but to no avail. The cores and Voltage still sit at their manual OC settings, not lowering at all, even when CPU usage is 0% for a prolonged period.

1) Why is C&Q not activating despite being enabled? Is this because I am no longer using 'auto' on things such as multiplier, bus and voltage?

2) I have heard that 'offset voltages' are what I am after. Is this correct?

3) I have seen videos where people use software (K10STAT). Is this a good solution?

I think that's enough for now, here are my specs:

FX 8370
M5A99FX Pro 2.0
R9 290
850W PSU
16GB RAM

Here are my OC settings:

TO BE EDITED...

Solution
Does the board even have an offset option ??
If not you could use auto & tinker with llc but it's a big trial & error process & while it'll drop low load voltage your actual full load/clock voltage will end up significantly higher.

If your load voltage is really 1.332v (I would only trust cpu-z under full stress test load for that reading) I would leave it alone, if you were 1.4v+ it would be worth looking into but that's an insanely low voltage for that overclock & as long as temps are good it's not really going to be detrimental to the cpu or board.

As a ryzen owner any overclocking automatically locks voltage on these new chips aswell so it's exactly the same scenario for me.
If you've set a straight voltage then c&q May not drop voltage at idle loads.

So yeah offset voltage is the efficient way but may mean starting your whole overclock & testing from scratch.

It should still drop clocks at idle though
Irregardless of voltage settings.

How are you reading clocks & voltage software wise ??

Have you checked power option in Windows settings ?? Set minimum processor state to 5%.

introaether

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Hello MadMatt. Thanks for your quick reply.

I am monitoring using CPU-Z and HWM.

Just popped back into BIOS to get some pics of my settings. Enabled C6. Which made no difference.

I have win7 OS and yes, Minimum processor state is default 5%.

However, it appears that selecting 'Balanced' as the power option (as opposed to Performance) has changed some things. The cores are now dropping to 1500MHz. (The multiplier is dropping to 7.0) Thanks.

However, the Voltage is not dropping in line with the Core. Is this dangerous to the CPU?

Does the board even have an offset option ??
If not you could use auto & tinker with llc but it's a big trial & error process & while it'll drop low load voltage your actual full load/clock voltage will end up significantly higher.

If your load voltage is really 1.332v (I would only trust cpu-z under full stress test load for that reading) I would leave it alone, if you were 1.4v+ it would be worth looking into but that's an insanely low voltage for that overclock & as long as temps are good it's not really going to be detrimental to the cpu or board.

As a ryzen owner any overclocking automatically locks voltage on these new chips aswell so it's exactly the same scenario for me.

Solution

introaether

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Yes Matt.

The Bios does allow offset. I did enable offset, but was kinda unsure what settings to enter. Doing so - in bios - reverted voltages to auto. (Interestingly, the auto NB voltage was 1.1. My manual setting was 1.3v - the cpu voltage remained the same 1.32v)

With offset enabled it failed to post: ''Overclock failed' bios message upon reboot.

I've reverted to my usual settings and dropped the NB voltage to 1.25.

It just passed 12 mins prime blend no problems at 4.65GHz.

The VRM is getting very hot though. 72C on socket. So I aborted the test.

I have more I tired everyday usage and socket temps reach 69C whilst heavy gaming/rendering so I am OK with that.

I'm wondering if I can drop the NB voltage even more (...remembering that auto setting) and that should help socket temps, right? I only st it to 1.3v as a guide suggested so in the first few steps.

Yes, I do think I have a good chip after reading other posts voltages. I am bound by the VRM temps though, it would seem.. plus I only have evo212 air cooler on chip.

I have placed a single 80mm fan on the VRM heats ink (yesterday) in the hope it'd help, but it doesn't look like it's made any difference.

I did try - during the initial oc process - upping the NB voltage beyond 1.3v in the hope to get RAM/HTlink/NB freq ratio up. But the temps were, as expected, way worse.

Thanks for your input and help.

I guess I'll just leave the voltage at 1.3v 24/7. It's definately that figure though. I do view both HWM and CPU-Z during the stress tests.

The mobo does do some minor stuff to the voltage. It's logged as 1.344v max, 1.332 min.

One final thpught/question.

• With selecting 'balanced' windows power option. The clocks are idling at 1.5Ghz and as noted, the voltage remains constant 1.332v.

Does this actually save any power? Or prolong component life at all?

Cheese.

To work the offset you need to go back to stock clocks , run a bench ,take note of voltage at load & subtact it from the voltage youre currently hitting overclocked.

Take that difference & enter it as a + offset in bios , then up your multiplier again

In theory anyway, in reality using offset can tend to introduce vdroop under load which then means upping the llc setting a notch as well.

If you can save your current setting as a profile in bios it's worth tinkering.

You'll probably end up with a slightly higher load voltage but with the ability to downvolt at lower loads.

introaether

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Thanks again.

I will further look into offset voltage.

Unfortunately, my Bios doesn't allow profiles. It's no problem though as I can jot down the settings of my current oc and revert if needs be.

Funnily enough. That line of thinking... 'what is stock/boost freq/voltages?' is what I used as a baseline to start my first oc.

Thanks again for your generous help.