Please help me choose a case, PSU, cooling system

eqmassa

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
Now that all my hardware has been selected (see signature), I must select a good case, power supply, and cooling system. It seems that 50% of the problems posted here are eventually attributed to a faulty PSU or poor cooling. As is apparent, there are myriad options available. For future reference, the main articles I used in selecting cases to consider were:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20030211/index.html
http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20030804/index.html
http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20030428/index.html

Yes, I know some of you dislike THG, but these articles are nice because of their comprehensiveness – 55 cases in all are reviewed, and all statistics and important information are included. In short, the qualities I seek in a case are:

1. Space and airflow to ensure low temperatures and trouble-free installation of hardware. Also fans, or room for fans and other cooling devices, that will ensure the safety and performance of my hardware. I’m pretty paranoid, so I’d like everything running at 50 below if possible :)
2. A top-of-the-line PSU that will doubtlessly keep my system running well, even if I OC in the future. I’m not sure how much power a system like mine needs, but it seems like comparable ones run at around 400w. Does this mean I’ll need to buy a separate PSU for some of the below cases, like the Lanboy and Sonata?
3. Last and least, a nice look.

This is a gaming system, so I don’t need a ton of bays, firewire, or anything else that would be frivolous for me. A USB for headphones on the front would be nice, but is not a huge consideration. Built-in PSUs/fans would make the building process simpler and ensure compatibility as well. I plan to have to buy a few extra fans, but don’t really know which would be best.

Suggestions on the case, PSU, fans, and HSF are all very appreciated.

Below is a list of cases I’m considering. I have a list of pros and cons but they’re not very reliable since I don’t yet know if I’ll need to purchase a separate PSU.

Antec Lanboy
Antec Sonata
Thermaltake Xaser II 6000 Series
Aspire X-Superalien
Kingwin K11-BK-WM
Kingwin KT-424-BK-WM
Raidmax Scorpio-668
Chenbro X-Pider “Gaming Bomb”
Enermax CS 318
GMC Trinity
Compucase CI-6619BK
Chenbro PC 61319
Lian Li …?

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S
WD SE 800JB
1GB Corsair XMS
Radeon 9800np
Lite On Combo Drive
Case? PSU? Fans? Monitor?

Phetar

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
I'm partial to the Sonata, Xpider, and Trinity. It seems like the Xpider has better cooling with its 120mm rear fan and 92mm front fan, and it may have room for more (their website says you have options). And of course the Sonata is the quietest and most elegant looking, and it has 1 120mm fan which should be adequate cooling (it has another, but its in back of the drive cages, and will raise the noise). Finally, I like the Trinity because of the HDD Selector, Sound Selector and Card Reader, but thats about it. Otherwise its an ordinary case. So I don't know, those would be my choices. As for the PSU, the ones in the Antec should be sufficient, even if you OC a little. And as for the fans, it all depends on a lot of things, like cooling, noise, etc.

eqmassa

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
You think the Sonata's 380w PSU is enough for a setup like mine? It seems like the XPider+430w truepower unit would be better.

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S
WD SE 800JB
1GB Corsair XMS
Radeon 9800np
Lite On Combo Drive
Case? PSU? Fans? Monitor?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Save some money and get that X-spider with a Fortron 400W unit, which has MORE POWER than the True Power 430. Or spend a few bux more and get the Fortron 530W, which puts out more power than the True Power 550, yet cost less than the True Power 430.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>