Please help me choose between 2 builds

Chris Tian

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
Hi! I'm new to tomshardware. Please can someone here help me decide which system should i build? I am so confuse right now :pt1cable:. I'm going to use this build for work, programming c# and .NET, light rendering, photoshop, video editing, gaming. I already bought a power supply and a Case.

Here are the builds

Build 1:
i7 6700k
Corsair H100i v2
G Skill Ripjaws 3200 mhz (2x8GB)
Samsung Evo 850 M.2 SSD
Gigabyte Ga z170x Designare
Sapphire RX 480 8GB

Build 2:
i76800k
Corsair H100i v2
G Skil Ripjaws 3200 mhz (2x8gb)
Samsung Evo 850 m.2 SSD
Gigabyte GA x99 UD4
Sapphire RX 480 8GB

Thanks!

Solution
broadwell. 6800k
i read it processes 30% faster with multithread applications and programs

16gb ram would do but maybe consider the option of 32gb if you think you would top out the 16, your mobo supports quad channel as well.

btw can you post your specs on the parts you'll be carrying over? its always best to give as much info as possible.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
broadwell. 6800k
i read it processes 30% faster with multithread applications and programs

16gb ram would do but maybe consider the option of 32gb if you think you would top out the 16, your mobo supports quad channel as well.

btw can you post your specs on the parts you'll be carrying over? its always best to give as much info as possible.

Solution

Chris Tian

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

Hi! thank you for your answer.

The parts that I have are the following
I. PSU (850 watts gold) is it overkill?
II. CASE (fractal r5)

I am planning to have multi monitor setup maybe 3? To increase productivity

Just a follow up question. Choosing 6800k means that I would wait for the chip to be delivered because it is on an order basis. Should I buy the motherboard first? or should I buy the other parts instead eg. ram, etc? or save for a little longer and just buy everything?

g-unit1111

Titan

Not always. It mainly depends on what you're going to do with it. For video editing I would go for the 6800K. For gaming I would go with the 6700K. Having more cores doesn't necessarily mean that it will translate to real world performance in say, Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas. I think that more depends on the size of the video editing files in question.

Chris Tian

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

Hi, my build would mainly be for programming, video editing, photoshop etc. and also gaming.
Follow up question is it good to buy the parts one by one or buy them in bulk? Buying them in bulk means i need to save a little longer maybe up until this december or next year january.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

Yea I had that in mind as he mentioned programming and editing. For his pc use getting the 6800 would be most practical since its a new build. he also didnt mention the budget so i assume it was open.
I actually looked into getting the 6700 and 6800 myself and would be using it for mostly gaming and streaming but
the difference wouldnt justify replacing my 4.6ghz 6400 or the platform altogether.
if it was mostly gaming and small video editing, 6600k would be best.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

if you're not able to get it all now because of funds and you dont need it urgently then i'd say just subscribe to flyers and check prices . black friday and boxing weeking is just around the corner.
just remember that prices in this industry change quite often so buying all at once later on could save u money. just depends on ur timing for special deals.
be aware of prices, sometimes they drop and go back up. those ones u want to keep an eye out for. and some drop and stay there.

g-unit1111

Titan

You always want to buy all the parts at once. Most stores have a 60 day return policy and if you build after the 60 days and something goes wrong you're most likely SOL.

Yea I had that in mind as he mentioned programming and editing. For his pc use getting the 6800 would be most practical since its a new build. he also didnt mention the budget so i assume it was open.

No it isn't. Having more cores and more RAM doesn't always mean it's going to be better. The 6800K might seem like a viable option but you don't always need the more cores and extra RAM.

if you're not able to get it all now because of funds and you dont need it urgently then i'd say just subscribe to flyers and check prices . black friday and boxing weeking is just around the corner.

The thing about Black Friday that you need to know is that the big ticket items almost never get discounted. And the big ticket items are the things that are always in demand - CPUs, GPUs, motherboards, and high end power supplies. Some cases might be discounted and some storage devices might be discounted but don't expect to find a 6700K for $250. That ain't happening.

Chris Tian

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

Thank you! Currently I dont need it so I would take your advice and wait.

Chris Tian

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

Ok thanks! I will keep that in mind

Chris Tian

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
Well thank you everyone for answering all my questions. As for now I'm on a tight budget & I'm not editing heavy video or pictures so I will take the 6700k and will plan to upgrade it in the future I guess I will be fine with it. Thanks Guys

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that's an excellent choice, I have the same CPU.