Please help me choose!

snowysnowcones

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hey everybody, I'm looking to build a new PC right after the school year ends, but I'm having a little trouble choosing which motherboard I want.
At first I thought I wanted to get the DFI Infinity, but then I heard about some issues with the board making some weird noises, so I'm not sure if I still want to get it. Then I wanted to get this Asus P5B-Plus, but I've recently read about Asus lacking on customer support. And lastly, I'm looking at the Abit Quad-GT, I've heard some bad past experiences with Abit, but now I'm hearing that they're "on the ball" again. Crossfire is not a main concern for me, but it is always a nice option to have. I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting an Intel e4300 with this, and I'll probably over-clock to the 2.4-2.8 ghz range, then more when I need it. Also, water-cooling could be in the future, as my brother has some spare water-cooling parts that he's not using right now.
Please help me choose between these three, and if you have any more suggestions, please tell me! (but try to keep it under $~140)

Rest of specs (that I'll probably get.. RAM is questionable, since prices are dropping so fast)
Processor Intel e4300: $113

Video card ATI 1950GT

RAM WINTEC: $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161030

Thanks for the help! :D

If you can wait a little longer, I would get a p35 chipset board for future upgradability to penryn (.45 nm). But if you can't wait, I would get a 965pe board for stability and value, such as the gigabyte 965pe ds3 ($100 newegg).

snowysnowcones

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
If you can wait a little longer, I would get a p35 chipset board for future upgradability to penryn (.45 nm). But if you can't wait, I would get a 965pe board for stability and value, such as the gigabyte 965pe ds3 ($100 newegg).
How long do you think that'll be? I'm probably going to order mid-June to July time frame... Won't the p35 chipset be more expensive?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
How long do you think that'll be? I'm probably going to order mid-June to July time frame... Won't the p35 chipset be more expensive?Yes. On your budget I would be looking at the Gigabyte 965 S3. The DS3 is fine as well. There's no need to pay for features you don't need and can't afford just because they're "nice to have".
BTW, do not skimp on the power supply. People tend to do that with budget systems. Then after it's built they come back here to ask why their new system crashes or just won't boot at all...

snowysnowcones

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hmm... DS3... I've heard the DS3 has some problems over at [H]... can't tell you exactly what, but I remember some people saying that they were shipping it back for different boards...

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Of course you have.
The DS3 is one of the more popular motherboards out there.
Just like the people who have heard of problems with Asus boards, there are "problems" listed for any popular products.
What I have found is that the 1st products of a generation tend to have teething issues that soon get worked out, usually through BIOS changes. The reports of problems have a life that far exceeds the life of the problems themselves.
For example, P965 boards had memory boot issues when they first came out. They adhered to the Intel requirement for SPDs showing 5-5-5-12 and running 1.8v only. Most enthusiast memory wanted more volts. Thus the problem. AFAIK, this is now fixed for most/all P965 motherboards. The reports about it never die though...

snowysnowcones

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Somebody over at [H] recommended that I go with a 975X chipset [Link]. Will this support the new 45nm Intel processors? Will any of them support it with a BIOS Flash?

Thanks for the help.