Please help me decide on a case and PSU!!!!!!!

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Im buying a new case/psu for my aging hp pos
-going to upgrade the rest of the pc prob when conroe comes out!

i am buying a new case- any recomendations (lots of cooling, not flashy)
thinking Coolermaster Centurion 531 (like the style + front and back fans)
but am open to any suggestions (hopefully i can get a case under 100$ if no psu included)

i also need a psu that will give me headroom for my *near* future upgrades which will prob be OC'd !!!!

what psu (hopefully under 100$) fits this bill?

(im somewhat new to psu but from reading other posts i have come to understand that qualtiy >watts, so any specific recommendations?)

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
**WARNING! WARNING! WILL ROBINSON! -> POST REGURGITATION DETECTED!**

There's loads of good cases out there so perhaps it would help if I told you some of the criteria for what makes a case brilliant.

Good caseflow - position of fans, whether you want ATX or ATX upside down. Have a look at this article: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=230
I recommend you have a fan exhausting either at the top-upwards or rear-backwards. Having a front intake to cool your hard drives can help to improve the reliability of your hard drives.

Enough hard disk,optical and 3.5inch bays. I recommend at least 2 hard disk bays, 2 optical bays and 2 3.5inch bays.

Quiet - mostly this is linked directly to 120mm fans. 120 mm fans move slow and don't give that high pitched whine of other fans.

Light - usually means aluminium construction, alos helps the heat exit the system.

Removable motherboard tray - not essential but it will help you live longer as it will lower your blood pressure during construction.

Whether you want the thing to be moveable (ie has handles, is slimer or is wider-and-shorter).

Tool-less design is perhaps not needed (most people have a screwdriver or two at home) but having your hard drives mount across the width of the case allows you to pull them out easier than if they are aligned along the length of the case.

Some other things to think about

You want it not to look like a dog's dinner?

Mounting joints that are rubberised help stop vibrations but my insensitive ears can't tell the difference.

Cubby holes and extra space for extreme cooling solutions - places to sit external radiators.

With that knowledge you can now look at cases and judge what is suitable for your needs. Just in case (pun not intended), here a review site:
http://www.bjorn3d.com/content.php?cat=8&Submit=Go&viewcat=1

**REGURGITATION ENDS!**

Looking at your case, it looks to have some great features and will really do you in good stead. 120mm fan intake and exhaust is very useful and the case looks quite stylish too. Here's a review: http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2005/07/06/centurion_530_531/1.html

For a PSU, I would recommend the Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550W for probably the most stable power supply available. Unfortunately, it is $118 and perhaps a bit much.

Another good power supply is the hyper 580W for $99 (comes in a few colours)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Brand=11154&N=2000320058+1131414178+50011154&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=58&Manufactory=11154
You can get cheaper supplies but I recommend you get 1 that is SLI certified, over 500W and make sure you check the reviews on it.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I bought an Lian Li aluminum case and the Hiper 580W. They'll both be in by Wednesday, so I'll know for sure then, but I don't expect any problems. The Hiper is a really highly reviewed PSU, and Lian Li makes the best cases you can buy. The PSU is $99, and the case was just over $100.

Both are in my sig.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
If Lian Li had a design department i would buy a Lian Li until then. they dont have my buisness.

I mean. u pay 150 dollars for a case, its ugly as fuck and it'll last for ever so u kno ur f*cked since it'll never break. I mean the least they could do was make it pretty or something

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
If Lian Li had a design department i would buy a Lian Li until then. they dont have my buisness.

I mean. u pay 150 dollars for a case, its ugly as **** and it'll last for ever so u kno ur f*cked since it'll never break. I mean the least they could do was make it pretty or something

There speaks a man who keeps all his taste in his mouth.

Lian Li cases aren't loud. They're classy. The carbon fiber finish and the annodized aluminum complement each other very nicely.

If you want a loud case, buy one or mod it. Don't complain because a case is better looking than you are.

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Actually, I must admit that the NZXT lexa looks good and is better value than the Lian Li cases. However, people's tastes are different and there's no doubting Lian Li's build quality.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
yah but its like....hmmm....its like asking someone if they went a ferrari or a mercedes. 1 was built flashy, the other was built for class. most will go ferrari.

also because of the good quality of lian li's u get stuck with an unly case forever :D :D

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
heh i actully like the looks of the lian li- i cant stand all the skull and neons.... the lexa looked kinda cool but too non conventional for me

im really looking for a case that looks basic but has higher end feautres, like the lian li

what im looking for are 1) multiple 120mm fans
2)removable mobo tray
3)non flashy look

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
heh i actully like the looks of the lian li- i cant stand all the skull and neons.... the lexa looked kinda cool but too non conventional for me

im really looking for a case that looks basic but has higher end feautres, like the lian li

what im looking for are 1) multiple 120mm fans
2)removable mobo tray
3)non flashy look

I now use only Coolermaster cases (best cooling ones I have found).
I also now only use Thermalright SI-120 for cpu cooler (cools the best AND cools the ram/voltage regulators).
For fans I only use Silverstone FM-121 on both the case and cooler and give the Coolermaster case fan(s) back to customer.

For PSU's I now only use PC Power and Cooling 510's.

Z

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
well i went with the centurion 532 (handle bar style 1 if that isnt the model) because it had a 20$ rebate

put the 20$ towards a psu got the Hiper 580 (mostly because it is modular) had decent reviews...noone seemed to have bad things to say wheever i went

the centurion doesnt come with a rear fan....with my current pc i dont need much cooling BUT when i upgrade im gonna replace the front fan and ad a back fan with delta 120's - i might have to tie my mobo down lol

halcyon

Splendid
I'm using a CM Centurian 5 on my iPod Spore rig, I love the fact that it has very little plastic on the exterior. Its a good tool-free case with excellent airflow. Even though the case isn't expensive its a solid case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119068

On the PSU...

CONSIDER A GOOD MODULAR PSU. You'll be glad you did. I bought an Antec TP 480 for the iPod Jumbo and while its a descent PSU I wish it was modular so I'd only have the necessary spaghetti and not the unneccessary.

Give it some thought.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I'd go with the NZXT Lexa. That's what I'm going to get when I build my Conroe rig. Looks great, has a good amount of room for a mid-tower case, made of aluminum so it's light, comes with a carrying strap, includes two 120mm fans and two 80mm fans, and even has an intake on the bottom of the case where you could easily place another 80mm fans. All intakes have fan filters to keep the dust out. It also has a 3 temperature sensor on the front to keep track of case, CPU and HD temperatures.

On the other hand, if you're on a tight budget, a Cooler Master Centurion 5 is probably the best choice. Not much in the looks department, but it performs great for an inexpensive case.

NeonDeon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Buy Thermaltake Armor Jr.!!! It's very nice! I have Sr. and the air flow comes in the front, exits the from the top and from the back!

And it's not going to cost $300 like Lian Li. Which are butt ass ugly!

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I don't like the idea of a fan on the bottom. Dust settles underneath your case, and I doubt you'll clean under there daily. Because of the bottom intake, anything under the case will then be inside it. I could spare a degree or two if it means my parts aren't covered in filth - which would then make it warmer.

And to all the Lian Li haters out there, get some class. You'll find it handy when you grow up.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I don't like the idea of a fan on the bottom. Dust settles underneath your case, and I doubt you'll clean under there daily. Because of the bottom intake, anything under the case will then be inside it. I could spare a degree or two if it means my parts aren't covered in filth - which would then make it warmer.

And to all the Lian Li haters out there, get some class. You'll find it handy when you grow up.

The case comes without a fan there, so nothing is really getting "sucked" up into the case. Air flows freely into the case. It has a washable dust filter on all intake holes, including the bottom hole too, 5 seconds under the faucet and it's like new. And if you do add a fan there, the filter will catch any dust, so dust in the case is no worry.

halcyon

Splendid

I may be ignorant as hull, but I'd have to definately agree. ...a cricket dies under your CPU...decays...then get sucked up into the vortex and winds up partly in your video card...partly in your CPU HSF...partly in your PSU. ...yeahp.

Just kidding!! Just kidding, but yeah, you may want to really think about a jet intake, I mean fan, on the bottom of your case.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

I may be ignorant as hull, but I'd have to definately agree. ...a cricket dies under your CPU...decays...then get sucked up into the vortex and winds up partly in your video card...partly in your CPU HSF...partly in your PSU. ...yeahp.

Just kidding!! Just kidding, but yeah, you may want to really think about a jet intake, I mean fan, on the bottom of your case.

there is a filter at the bottom

Silent_Bob

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Anyone have any experience with the P180s from Antec? Although they are a little pricey they seem to be nice and quiet and have wicked airflow thanks to the 4 120mm fans.

As for PS I like seasonic and enermax. Never had a problem with either and the seasonics are extremely efficient.

My next build will hopefully be a combo of P180b and a 600w seasonic.