Please help me determine what is causing my PC to freeze

semaj_619-

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
Hey, so for probably about 3 months my computer has been freezing randomly requiring me to shut down my PC to fix it.

I don't think its a software issue becaues ive updated all of my drivers and also completely reset my PC. So i think its a hardware issue but I have no idea what piece of hardware is causing it to freeze.

Oddly though if I'm talking to friends through discord or xbox party chap app I can continue talking to them even though my computer is completly frozen and unresponsive.

Open to any suggestions willing to try anything. Thank you

Specs:

CPU: Intel i5-6500 Graphics Card: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960 4GB Memory: G.Skill 8GB DDR4-2400 (2 x 4GB) MOBO: Asrock B150M Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB PSU: Antec VP-700P 700Watts

Hardware is 1 year 7 months old , except for the SSD which is 8 months old

It happens completely randomly. Can be after a few hours or a few minutes of use, no matter whether im playing games or just doing absolutely nothing. It has even frozen on the start-up windows screen.

Solution
make sure the bios is up to date. run memtest from a usb stick make sure it passes. use hardware info set it to logging and sensor see if your power supply rails are holding.