Please help me figure out if this 4790k should be returned

fahu

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I have bought 4790k used, when I run prime 95 26.6 small FFT stress test on it two of the cores reach 100 degree celcius while the other two hover in 90s, they reach their turbo frequency of 4.4 ghz. I am using hyper 212 dual fan cooler, prime 95 tests show no errors, I can't overclock this cpu but I don't know if this is normal for the cpu to reach those temps during a stress test with after market air coolers, I would really appreciate if fellow 4790k owners could share their results and setups so that I could get a better understanding of this cpu is in good shape or not, if not I can return the cpu. Thanks.

Solution
I don't know exactly what is causing your problem but the heatsink and fan does need to be properly mounted and you need a proper amount of thermal compound without any pockets of air in it. Pockets of air can happen if you pick the heatsink back up and remount it without cleaning and reapplying thermal compound again. Also a lack of ventilation or airflow problems can cause the issue.

Still your voltage could also be too high. Try manually setting the ratios to 42. AItweaker, sync all cores, 42. Then manually set the Vcore to 1.16. Run Prime95. If it freezes or BSOD's then your chip needs an abnormally high amount of vcore and as such may have been mistreated or abused before which has caused degradation and the chip needs too much...
You are likely OK.
It is normal for cores to have different temperatures.
When you are operating near 100c, the TDP limit, you may be seeing some throttling of the speed to protect the cpu from damage.

Is your motherboard not capable of overclocking?

fahu

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

I have z97a motherboard, the reason I said I can't overclock it is because it is already seeing 100 degree Celsius which is the cpu's throttle limit.

Hyper 212 is not a very good cooler; it is popular because it is cheap.

What are your temperatures at idle?
You should see 10-15c. over ambient.
Much more and you may have a installation issue or a case airflow issue.

What is your case and intake fan situation?
Any cooler needs a good source of intake air to let the cooler do it's job.

If you take the case covers off does this help?

fahu

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

My temps at idle hover around 42 to 45 degree Celsius, my fan situation is not that good, as for whether taking the case off helps or not I will get back to you on that.

fahu

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

So I have run AIDA64, when I am running just 'stress cpu' test, the max temp is around 62, and when I also check 'stress FPU' two cores reach 99 degree Celsius while the other 2 cores also hover in 90s, and the software reports overheating with 5% cpu throttling.

fahu

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

without the case door I get temps for the cores 1,2,3 and 4 of 83.5,88.5,91.3, and 81.4 avg temps. overall cpu temp is 80.1.

Try turning multicore enhancement off and see if that helps. Generally when you overclock and leave the voltage on auto it gives the CPU too much voltage. Multicore enhancement is overclocking technically. So there might be too much voltage going through your CPU.

fahu

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

I do not think my motherboard has multicore enchancement feature, it has speed step technology and I have that disabled.

I have the exact same board as you. It DOES have it. And if you ran a stress test and the CPU runs at 4.4GHz on all cores then multicore enhancement is on.

fahu

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

You were right I do have multicore enhancement, I disabled it and my temps dropped from 100 on one of the cores to 94 max during prime 95 26.6 small fft test, the rest were close to that range too, the highest was 94, the cpu still operates at a turbo frequency of 4.4 ghz and I think thats because I have speed step technology disabled.

I don't know exactly what is causing your problem but the heatsink and fan does need to be properly mounted and you need a proper amount of thermal compound without any pockets of air in it. Pockets of air can happen if you pick the heatsink back up and remount it without cleaning and reapplying thermal compound again. Also a lack of ventilation or airflow problems can cause the issue.

Still your voltage could also be too high. Try manually setting the ratios to 42. AItweaker, sync all cores, 42. Then manually set the Vcore to 1.16. Run Prime95. If it freezes or BSOD's then your chip needs an abnormally high amount of vcore and as such may have been mistreated or abused before which has caused degradation and the chip needs too much voltage for stock operation. Test it overnight preferably. Unless you can obviously see the temps are still too high. If the temps are still too high or perhaps higher than before then you need to fix an issue with your case or heatsink. Perhaps a new case or better fans... Or fix an issue with an improperly mounted heatsink.

Solution