Please help me find what I'm looking for.....

kapnos

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Greetings!

My PC specs:
q9550 @ 3.74
4gb corsair mem
giga x48-ds4
ppc 750w

I'm in need of a gfx upgrade from my 4850. I need a card that has the following but in my research have failed to come across one.

Needs:
- 2 HDMI outs that will function separately and at the same time. I'm displaying to two 46in HDTVs and to keep things clean want A/V on the same line. Use of a displayport -> hdmi adapter would also make me sad.
- 512mb memory. Comp is a dual boot. One for pro audio and one for everything else including gaming and web browsing. I need all the system mem I can get on the audio OS but unfortunately cannot upgrade to a 64 bit system due to software incompatibilities.
- Better performance than the 4850. If I'm upgrading, i might as well get a performance boost right? :)

Main reason for upgrade is the convenience of running 2 hdmi out to the Tvs without the need to run separate lines for audio. Any help is greatly appreciated.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
not entirely sure there are any video cards that support 2 native HDMI ports. I know there are plenty of the new ATI 5xxx series cards that support 2 x HDMI when using the adapter but you will only be able to bring the audio signal over the true HDMI port and not when using the HDMI-DVI adapter. Another option is to use two seperate Video cards like maybe 2 x 5770's not is crossfire, that should do the trick (considering you have 2 PCI-E slots...

kapnos

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Thanks for the reply. Splitting the same feed isn't what I'm looking for however. Can the displayport and hdmi on the 5XXXs both pass audio at the same time? If so, would an displayport to hdmi adapter allow it to transfer seamlessly as well? I had thought about the 2 card solution but it would put more of a dent in my system memory than I'd like. Trying to stay at 512.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008

Displayport does not carry audio.

No cards have 2x HDMI.
Buy an HD5850/5830/5770 + http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] _-82339009

That product has some really great reviews. lol

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
almost forgot, you're using a 32-bit OS..., there is a tweak on how to manipulate a 32-bit OS to utilize more RAM that it defaults to, forget where i read it though... How much RAM do you currently have installed?

Nevermind, you have 4-GB.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
That MOBO has two PCIe 16x slots. Have you considered just buying another video card with HDMI out and running them both at the same time?

hmm... might be a problem getting the digital audio to both video cards.

kapnos

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
PCI card that does what? Sorry.....I'm dense.

I'm just trying to get 2 A/V outs on the same card without running hdmi and then a dvi + all the audio. So ATI's displayport output doesn't support audio? I was under the impression that the standard could support it. Thanks again.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008

Well SOB... Displayport does indeed support audio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displayport#Overview

Just pickup one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270282&cm_re=displayport_to_hdmi-_-12-270-282-_-Product

and one of thos ATI card with displayport+HDMI and your are ready to go.

kapnos

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Can anyone confirm that audio will pass through both the displayport and hdmi outs of a 5xxx at the same time? I'm trying not to run into a situation like the 4850 where one output can be converted to hdmi and pass a/v with an adapter but the other has no such functionality.

If the above can be done, is audio shared between both outputs? Or can a separate source go to each?

Can't find a 5770 of the 512 variety that has both outputs either. Looks like only the 1gb cards come with all the outputs.....????