[SOLVED] Please help me i cannot update windows 10 for the life of me

alpal503

Prominent
Nov 14, 2020
So what happens is when i go to the windows update thingy in settings its just blank (http://prntscr.com/vxcwbt) no matter how long i leave it for.
i have tried EVERYTHING sfc scan doesnt find anything and i get an error 2 when i try to do anything with DISM i have no idea what to try anymore

Solution
I can't think of any easy way.
If you had an iso copy of 1903 we could do a repair install

You could normally run reset but if dism is not working, the reset won't either as it uses the image that DISM uses. And it uses DISM commands.

one of the fixes shown everywhere for error 2 is to make sure you have right version of DISM … i can't work out how you would do that. None of them show me.

I am starting to think only way forward is a clean install. Annoying but sometimes its only way. They much easier if you have time to prepare for it.

if one of games is wow you can reuse folder on new install, you just point the launcher at the folder
I think you can also do it with origin games

What is on the ssd? can you move any of it onto...

alpal503

Prominent
Nov 14, 2020
Error 2: try solution 3 here although you won't find cmd (admin) in start menu as described, Microsoft removed it a few versions ago - https://windowsreport.com/dism-error-2-fix/
Solution 5 may help as well.
Ignore solution 4.

sounds like your PC is a little sick.

Win 10 version 1903
Have you tried a clean install?
i will try the solutions now, doing a clean install is not really an option as i have 3tb of important data on it and i dont really have a reliable way to back it up

alpal503

Prominent
Nov 14, 2020
Error 2: try solution 3 here although you won't find cmd (admin) in start menu as described, Microsoft removed it a few versions ago - https://windowsreport.com/dism-error-2-fix/
Solution 5 may help as well.
Ignore solution 4.

sounds like your PC is a little sick.

Win 10 version 1903
Have you tried a clean install?
nope solution 3 didnt work as i got error 2 again, solution 5 didnt work either

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you try 1 which is disable/remove AV until you run test?

how many drives do you have? what is the 3tb of data? games? you don't have to tell me if you don't want to.
just thinking, if you had 2 drives and most of the games are steam games, you can reuse the libraries on a new install without need to reinstall.

alpal503

Prominent
Nov 14, 2020
i did try 1, the outcome is the same. i have a 500gb ssd and a 4tb hdd. my hdd does mostly have games but only a few are steam most of them are not. though i also have a lot of phone pics on there. my sdd has all my programs and some pics

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't think of any easy way.
If you had an iso copy of 1903 we could do a repair install

You could normally run reset but if dism is not working, the reset won't either as it uses the image that DISM uses. And it uses DISM commands.

one of the fixes shown everywhere for error 2 is to make sure you have right version of DISM … i can't work out how you would do that. None of them show me.

I am starting to think only way forward is a clean install. Annoying but sometimes its only way. They much easier if you have time to prepare for it.

if one of games is wow you can reuse folder on new install, you just point the launcher at the folder
I think you can also do it with origin games

What is on the ssd? can you move any of it onto the hdd?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS