Question Please help me, I erased a VHDX file

Jul 2, 2022
Hello everyone,

First, I'm sorry if this is not posted at the right place. I'm new around here and kinda desperate, I want to act as quickly as possible.

Here's my problem. I stumbled on a problem with my computer recently, namely it being full without me knowing why. After some research I learned that it came from a file apparently "empty" named VirtualDrive, with the .vhdx extension (or something similar). Seeing it empty, I thought it was useless, and looked for a way to delete it.
**** I achieved it, only to realize what it was afterwards. Jesus I hate myself.

I have a ROG Strix 17, and the hard drive is by default divided, with something called "Shadow Drive", a partition that can be hidden when I remove the "keystone", a USB thingy. Knowing very little in computers and all, I thought that this Shadow Drive was another SSD inside the computer, but then I learned the hard way that it's only the same SSD, just not the same location, meaning that filling the Shadow Drive also filled the C: drive by the same amount of GB, hence the very huge VirtualDrive file. And by erasing the VirtualDrive file, I also erased said Shadow Drive, so it does not appear on the My PC screen anymore, as well as its 700gb contents.

Well, I just wanted to know if there was a way to recover those lost files, as well as the virtual drive itself.
I guess that the very last resort is to reset the PC to get back the Shadow Drive, but I'd like if possible to avoid this possibility. Even though the contents of the drive were mostly movies and TV series (I think there were something like 300gb out of the 700 that were games, since they demand tremendous amounts of space nowadays, Borderlands 3 taking more than 130 for example, Vermintide 2 almost 80, so it gets filled up really fast), I'd like to know if I could restore them someway that would not involve huge amounts of money. At least see the names of the files I lost, to note them and perhaps reacquire them afterwards.

I hope I made myself as clear as possible. English is not my native language and I'm also kind of desperate, so I might have made some mistakes. But I hope they didn't prevent me from being clear.
Thanks in advance for all the help you might bring!

Last edited by a moderator: