Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2019
Hey, I'm Alex. I have a PC that has Intel Core i5 processor on it, RTX 2060, 8GB RAM, power supply that can feed everything and a monitor which is FHD, and 60Hz.
Right now I'm getting around 60-80 FPS only.
A month ago i bought this RTX 2060 before that i had GTX 960... And even with that i got like 120-140 FPS.
So guys, please tell me what can I DO/BUY to improve my performance, especially in gaming!

Also, I think that doesn't really help but I have quite slow internet connection. Only 25Mbits/s.
Can a faster network help me? Because I'm usually playing games that need internet like OverWatch or FortNite.

Any help would be appreciated! ;D
Have a nice day and keep smilin' :)

Last edited:
We need full pc spec, there is a big difference between many i5’s. Thing like RAM speed also have an impact on performance.

Do you have all the latest drivers installed for motherboard and gpu? What are your cpu and gpu usages when gaming? What games are you getting 120-140 FPS and with what settings?

Dec 22, 2019
We need full pc spec, there is a big difference between many i5’s. Thing like RAM speed also have an impact on performance.

Do you have all the latest drivers installed for motherboard and gpu? What are your cpu and gpu usages when gaming? What games are you getting 120-140 FPS and with what settings?
Hey!

Ty for answering! My processor is i5 6400 2.70 Ghz. I have DDR4 8GB/2400 RAM. I have all the latest drivers, i have checked it. When I'm gaming my CPU usage is usually 95-100% and GPU is 70-90%. When i had my old graphics card (GTX 960), i got 120-140 FPS in FortNite with quite low settings but not with the lowest ones. And now with my new RTX 2060 i get 60-80FPS (sometimes it dropps to 20FPS)when im using THE LOWEST graphics in Fortnite.

Ok you should not have lost FPS however your system is limited by your cpu and RAM. Try using DDU to completely remove your gpu driver and then reinstall the latest driver. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

As fo upgrade your cpu choice isn’t great, any motherboard that supports 6th gen Intel limits your options. Even the best compatible i7’s are outperformed by modern i5’s and modern i5’s are already showing limitations. Add to that 8gb of slow RAM you are really looking at a new cpu/motherboard/RAM combination to get a significantly large jump in performance. You can try a 6700/6700k/7700/7700k if you can find one cheap but don’t expect too much.

Dec 22, 2019
Ok you should not have lost FPS however your system is limited by your cpu and RAM. Try using DDU to completely remove your gpu driver and then reinstall the latest driver. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

As fo upgrade your cpu choice isn’t great, any motherboard that supports 6th gen Intel limits your options. Even the best compatible i7’s are outperformed by modern i5’s and modern i5’s are already showing limitations. Add to that 8gb of slow RAM you are really looking at a new cpu/motherboard/RAM combination to get a significantly large jump in performance. You can try a 6700/6700k/7700/7700k if you can find one cheap but don’t expect too much.
Hey!

Okay, so the thing that holds everything back is my CPU, am I right? But can you tell me, I'm quite new in this kinda thing so... What the hell means 6700/6700k/7700/7700k? And by that combination you mean that i buy new cpu, motherboard and RAM? If so then I think its "spend some great money time" because these combinations aren't cheap at all.
And somebody even said that I should try to overclock my CPU, but uh, I don't think that plays out so well as expected.
Ty for tryna help :D

Last edited:
The 6700/6700k/7700/7700k was just a list of 4 compatible i7’s that will work in motherboards that support your current 6400. I’m not really recommending this option but it is the cheapest.

For a full upgrade a lot depends on budget and where you are located. However an ideal setup would use a Ryzen 3600 or 3600X or 3700X cpu. You can pair one of these with a good B450 motherboard, an example is the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max. Then for RAM 2x8gb of 3200 or 3600mhz.

You would be best to start a build thread to get other options.

It sounds like you have a cpu bottleneck. In other words, your graphics card is way too fast for your i5 CPU. It's kind of like your graphics card is a Corvette, but with your i5, it has the transmission is from a Chevy spark. So your graphics card is trying to run, but it's going so fast that your i5 can't keep up. Which is why your CPU usage is running 95-100% because it's maxed out and can't keep up. Your 960 was a lot slower card, so your system was balanced.

The numbers 6700, 7700 etc are different chips. You have the i5 6400. Those others are different models.

Your best bet is to look at upgrading your motherboard, CPU, and upgrading from 8 to 16gb of ram. I would look around at some of the AMD ryzen options. Depending on your budget, perhaps a b450 board and a ryzen 5 3600. If you're looking for a deal though, they are selling the last generation 2000 series processors at a good discount. But they are still decent performers.

Dec 22, 2019
It sounds like you have a cpu bottleneck. In other words, your graphics card is way too fast for your i5 CPU. It's kind of like your graphics card is a Corvette, but with your i5, it has the transmission is from a Chevy spark. So your graphics card is trying to run, but it's going so fast that your i5 can't keep up. Which is why your CPU usage is running 95-100% because it's maxed out and can't keep up. Your 960 was a lot slower card, so your system was balanced.

The numbers 6700, 7700 etc are different chips. You have the i5 6400. Those others are different models.

Your best bet is to look at upgrading your motherboard, CPU, and upgrading from 8 to 16gb of ram. I would look around at some of the AMD ryzen options. Depending on your budget, perhaps a b450 board and a ryzen 5 3600. If you're looking for a deal though, they are selling the last generation 2000 series processors at a good discount. But they are still decent performers.
Heya!
So you think that Ryzen is right now better choice than Intel? And generally, how much would b450 and ryzen 5 3600 cost? As i mentioned before, can CPU overclocking help me?
Also talking about Ryzen 5 360p specs... Does it take much more room in my PC than my i5?
Ty for tryna help :)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019
The 6700/6700k/7700/7700k was just a list of 4 compatible i7’s that will work in motherboards that support your current 6400. I’m not really recommending this option but it is the cheapest.

For a full upgrade a lot depends on budget and where you are located. However an ideal setup would use a Ryzen 3600 or 3600X or 3700X cpu. You can pair one of these with a good B450 motherboard, an example is the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max. Then for RAM 2x8gb of 3200 or 3600mhz.

You would be best to start a build thread to get other options.
Okay, but I'm trying to get a little more suggestions in this thread. Anyways, thank you very much m8!
:D

On his monitor, I can attest that depending on his graphics card, with a powerful gpu like that, once the system is properly set, he's probably going to push more than 60 fps. So that said, unless he's using vsync, etc, he's going to experience screen tearing etc. It's so nice when you don't have to worry about that and things are just smooth.

As far as physically fitting, or being larger than an i5 for example, PC parts are generally set to form factors. So they are interchangeable. If you have a smaller case for example, a micro atx motherboard now, you'd want to get the same size if that's all your case can accommodate.

As for overclocking, you sound like you're a novice. So I would suggest you not try to do that. Your current i5 isn't able to do that anyway. Only Intel chips that are k chips can usually do that, certain others can, but I don't think your i5 is one of them.

If you went amd, I'd look at a board like this or similar. I have the older b350 version of that board, and am happy with it.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157841

Also since you asked about overclocking, but as I said, I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, I would suggest the ryzen 5 3600x for you. It's a few dollars more, but is a little faster than the ryzen 3600 out of the box. Closer to speeds of what guys would overclock the 3600 to. But that way you wouldn't have to mess with overclocking and still get benefits of faster speeds. But it should still be capable of overclocking if you get more experience and try it later. However, this CPU should be about as fast as last year's i7 8700k. So how much more performance do you really need?

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-3600x/p/N82E16819113568

As far as ram, the board I suggested has 4 slots, so if you got 2 8gb sticks, you would still have room for expansion later on.

If you're from the United States, look to see if you are near a Microcenter store. If so, I would suggest to shop there. They are doing a deal now that if you buy a board and chip that are compatible, you get a 20 dollar discount. Also I think the prices on the processor is 20 dollars less to.

Not only that, but their staff is usually knowledgeable and offers suggestions if you ask them.

Dec 22, 2019
As far as ram, the board I suggested has 4 slots, so if you got 2 8gb sticks, you would still have room for expansion later on.

If you're from the United States, look to see if you are near a Microcenter store. If so, I would suggest to shop there. They are doing a deal now that if you buy a board and chip that are compatible, you get a 20 dollar discount. Also I think the prices on the processor is 20 dollars less to.

Not only that, but their staff is usually knowledgeable and offers suggestions if you ask them.
Hey
Huh, there is pretty much that i have not even heard about. But i couldn't precisely understand. Do you recommend me to buy everything, RAM, motherboard and CPU or you meant that i should buy only motherboard and RAM?
Tyyy for answers!!!

If all you have is 8gb total now, I'd recommend to get a 16gb kit as suggested above for dual channel. If you already have 16gb, then the current ram is probably ok. Depends on the ram you have. Ryzen does like faster ram. Like ddr4 3000 or higher.

But if all you have is 8gb of ram now, it will work, but for modern games, 16gb is the starting point in my opinion.

Dec 22, 2019

Hey again!
I don't live in the United States, I am in Europe. And i wanted to say that my pc is mini tower. Any suggestions for the motherboard?

Dec 22, 2019
If all you have is 8gb total now, I'd recommend to get a 16gb kit as suggested above for dual channel. If you already have 16gb, then the current ram is probably ok. Depends on the ram you have. Ryzen does like faster ram. Like ddr4 3000 or higher.

But if all you have is 8gb of ram now, it will work, but for modern games, 16gb is the starting point in my opinion.
Hey
I see, I have rn. 8GB RAM, but I have wanted to upgrade it. So as i can understand i would need to buy new motherboard and 2x8GB memory to get the speed.
:D

Dec 22, 2019
Right. And a new CPU that's compatible. If it's a mini tower, look at the specs for your case. You may need to get a micro atx board so that it all fits.
Okay, thx for help m8 :D
One last thing! Can you suggest me a motherboard and cpu combination that fits to my mini tower? Please try to make out one that doesn't need really high or big budget. Not a rich boiii here... :(. But of course if needed i can step up with my few dollaridoos :D

Last edited:
This board should be decent. I have an older version. Which was the b350 from the same company. Mine is a full size, not a micro atx though. But check your specs on the case and see what it takes.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dQgzK8/asrock-b450m-pro4-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro4

If you're not overclocking, maybe look at this CPU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3WYLrH/amd-ryzen-5-3600x-38-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000022box

On pcpartpicker, you can set it to your region and sort by pricing, reviews etc.

Dec 22, 2019
Qqwww2wwwwwwwwwww1w1wqwq111q
This board should be decent. I have an older version. Which was the b350 from the same company. Mine is a full size, not a micro atx though. But check your specs on the case and see what it takes.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dQgzK8/asrock-b450m-pro4-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro4

If you're not overclocking, maybe look at this CPU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3WYLrH/amd-ryzen-5-3600x-38-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000022box

On pcpartpicker, you can set it to your region and sort by pricing, reviews etc.
Thank you so much dude, if I have any further questions I will ask you ;)

No problem. Just do your homework on whatever you buy and double check the motherboard vendor that they take whatever ram and CPU you select. I think pcpartpicker has a compatibility guide as well. So may plug those parts into that to see if it sees any issues. The one thing I could think of is the b450 was from last generation. If it's an older stock board, it may not support the 3000 series CPUs out of the box. So may just want to double check before purchase to see if the board was updated as sometimes retailers or the manufacturer will do that. But if you would happen to get one stuck at the back of a warehouse for a long time, it's possible. Just something to double check.

Dec 22, 2019
No problem. Just do your homework on whatever you buy and double check the motherboard vendor that they take whatever ram and CPU you select. I think pcpartpicker has a compatibility guide as well. So may plug those parts into that to see if it sees any issues. The one thing I could think of is the b450 was from last generation. If it's an older stock board, it may not support the 3000 series CPUs out of the box. So may just want to double check before purchase to see if the board was updated as sometimes retailers or the manufacturer will do that. But if you would happen to get one stuck at the back of a warehouse for a long time, it's possible. Just something to double check.
:) heard that!

Status
Not open for further replies.