Question Please help me isolate this weird issue

Aug 5, 2019
Hi guys,

I have a 6 year rig which has served me fine until now. It has been randomly freezing (I can't move the mouse, keyboard, ctrl-alt-del, etc.). And when I restart I notice that my monitor says "no signal". Until a few more restarts then it starts working and the process repeats. I monitored my CPU temp in bios and I saw that it was consistently increasing up to 80 C which is very concerning for idling.

Also, when I went to check my fan rpm speeds in BIOS, I notice that all my fans(case + psu) aside from my CPU fan alternate between N/A and some other value. The fans seem to be running very weak throughout the case. I think this is driving stuff to overheat. Do you feel that this is more of a motherboard issue or a PSU issue? I am personally leaning towards replacing the PSU but would appreciate any feedback.

Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme3
CPU: AMD Phenom 965
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6950
PSU: Corsair CX500

What do you guys think? Thanks once again!

Aug 5, 2019
I plugged in my motherboard speaker today and noticed that it beeps 3 times and then stops and repeats again. But sometimes it boots fine, I have no idea what's going on.

Ralston18

Titan
No need to bump and doing so is unlikely to help. Responses are all by volunteers and sometimes people may be researching before responding.

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual? If not, go to the manufacturer's website and search accordingly.

I found this link - confirm that the link is correct for your motherboard.

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/970 Extreme3.pdf

Beep codes: Do listen carefully as beeps are often patterns of long and short beeps.

https://ddr4motherboard.com/beepcodes/ASROCK-970-EXTREME3

Again verify that the preceding link is applicable.

----

Six years would be a long life for most systems and especially a PSU.

Any recent system cleanings and reseatings? If the case is full of dust, debris, dead bugs, hair, paper scraps, etc. then it is time for a good cleaning just as a matter of general maintenance SOPs.

And double check that all components and cables are fully and firmly seated.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Aug 5, 2019
Hi Ralston,

Thanks for the reply. I did reseat the GPU and the motherboard power cables, but it doesn't seem to fix the issue. The links you listed are correct, I will have a closer look.

Aug 5, 2019
I did some cleaning, and I'm not sure if this is possible but I think the CPU overheating might be what was causing my main issue. I am gonna look into getting a new CPU cooler.

However, I did notice something strange today with my GPU: when I have my GPU fully seated and I disconnect the 6 pin PSU plugs, the GPU fans start spinning really fast, is that normal and could it imply that the PSU is not supplying enough power?

I'm likely to replace some components to upgrade my build soon, what parts do you guys think are most likely to be causing this issue? I don't wanna swap out any parts that are still fine if possible.
Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS