[SOLVED] Please help me it’s about cpu sockets

nardi.luke2005

Prominent
May 12, 2018
My computer cpu socket is am3 and the cpu I want to get is a socket am3+ will it fit in my am3

Is the am3 and am3+ two different size sockets

Solution

As I recall the mechanical interface is the same but some electrical differences exist. Since AM3+ came about for FX processors my first inclination is to say AM3+ supports greater power delivery for those power hungry processors. So putting an 8 core FX in an AM3 board could end up in disaster.

It all depends on what board you have since some of those AM3 boards feature VRM designs that are very sketch so instead of throttling when they overheat they just shut down...or worse simply catch fire. But even so it's questionable whether any BIOS updates supported FX processors so it may...

As I recall the mechanical interface is the same but some electrical differences exist. Since AM3+ came about for FX processors my first inclination is to say AM3+ supports greater power delivery for those power hungry processors. So putting an 8 core FX in an AM3 board could end up in disaster.

It all depends on what board you have since some of those AM3 boards feature VRM designs that are very sketch so instead of throttling when they overheat they just shut down...or worse simply catch fire. But even so it's questionable whether any BIOS updates supported FX processors so it may not recognize one and in turn may not enable it's features and unique caching schema.

Solution