[SOLVED] Please help me. Lagging on Xbox. Best test?

Apr 3, 2022
Hello, I am asking for someone to please help me.

I have lagging while playing Xbox games online. Well, only one game.

I was wondering what the best ping/latency test is to use? I will need one i can use online...not on windows. I broke my laptop.

But...I did the latency test on AzureSpeed.com

Is this a good place to do a latency test?

My results were huge spikes of latency every 10 seconds. The further away the destination/server, the bigger the spike. The server in Arizona was 400ish every 10 seconds. The server closest to me was over 100ms.

But, every other ping test I run online comes back as "normal"....but I dont think this is a continues ping test and it just test one packet sent and recieved....is that correct?

Anyways, I contacted my ISP and they sent me 50 packets and they call got lost. They are coming out tomorrow to look at everything.

I dont really know much about this ping stuff. Would I even have internet if my ISP sent me packets and they all got lost? I still have internet BTW and still can stream and stuff. But the lagging during gaming made me dig into this.

I also did a test on my Xbox on the networking settings. I had 0 packet loss and usually around 40-50ms latency. So that seems ok...

But the Azure test showed huge spikes every 10 seconds.

So...what am I missing here?

Can anyone guide me? I would greatly appreciate this. This has actually made me depressed. Caused a lot of issues for me.

Thanks for the help (I hope).

EDIT: I just did another ping test online at ping.canbeuseful.com

It is an online continuous ping tester. Since the results of the packets continue because it just keeps sending them i will just post what i found at 150 packets.

Packets sent: 150
Failed: 0
Min ping: 117ms
Average ping: 148ms
Max ping: 378ms

So why is this test and the Azure test so bad, but my Xbox test comes back good?? Also, the speed test on my ISP website comes back good too. They use Ookla speed test. My download and upload were good. My ping was between 45-49ms. But when my ISP support technician sent 50 packets they all got lost and failed...

What's this all mean?

Thanks and God bless anyone who can help me.

Last edited:
Solution
It is unfortunate that google still find outdated information. The Puma problem was patched and does not cause a issue for actual users. The people who did the puma test I think didn't like feeling outdated so they tweaked the test so it still shows a problem but this is with a artificial data stream that does not represent any real game traffic that was being affected before they patched it. Too bad you can't make them pay for the new modem you purchased for misleading you.

Latency/spikes are pretty much only caused by a overloaded connection. There are some garbage autoconfig options in windows that can cause it also but since you are using a console it can't be that.

I am not sure I would trust one tool. Try to...

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hello, I am asking for someone to please help me.

I have lagging while playing Xbox games online. Well, only one game.

I was wondering what the best ping/latency test is to use? I will need one i can use online...not on windows. I broke my laptop.

But...I did the latency test on AzureSpeed.com

Is this a good place to do a latency test?

My results were huge spikes of latency every 10 seconds. The further away the destination/server, the bigger the spike. The server in Arizona was 400ish every 10 seconds. The server closest to me was over 100ms.

But, every other ping test I run online comes back as "normal"....but I dont think this is a continues ping test and it just test one packet sent and recieved....is that correct?

Anyways, I contacted my ISP and they sent me 50 packets and they call got lost. They are coming out tomorrow to look at everything.

I dont really know much about this ping stuff. Would I even have internet if my ISP sent me packets and they all got lost? I still have internet BTW and still can stream and stuff. But the lagging during gaming made me dig into this.

I also did a test on my Xbox on the networking settings. I had 0 packet loss and usually around 40-50ms latency. So that seems ok...

But the Azure test showed huge spikes every 10 seconds.

So...what am I missing here?

Can anyone guide me? I would greatly appreciate this. This has actually made me depressed. Caused a lot of issues for me.

Thanks for the help (I hope).

EDIT: I just did another ping test online at ping.canbeuseful.com

It is an online continuous ping tester. Since the results of the packets continue because it just keeps sending them i will just post what i found at 150 packets.

Packets sent: 150
Failed: 0
Min ping: 117ms
Average ping: 148ms
Max ping: 378ms

So why is this test and the Azure test so bad, but my Xbox test comes back good?? Also, the speed test on my ISP website comes back good too. They use Ookla speed test. My download and upload were good. My ping was between 45-49ms. But when my ISP support technician sent 50 packets they all got lost and failed...

What's this all mean?

Thanks and God bless anyone who can help me.
What game is it? If it’s only the one game the problem is probably with that game’s servers.

Apr 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Are you tethered to the www using the device provided by your ISP or do you have a router between your Xbox and the ISP?

Hello, thank you so much for your response.

I am using an ethernet cable from my modem to my xbox. Then I am running speed tests on my xbox browser (Microsoft edge).

I will also say...I did that this morning with my ISP modem. I did some research and it is a Hitron en2251, which I believe has the Puma chip in it. I ran the Azure Latency Test and was getting spikes close to 1000ms at the server in Arizona.

So I went to the store and bought a modem thinking this was the issue. However, even with the new modem j am getting spikes to 400-500ms on the same Azure test to the Arizona server on that Azure test. I live in Michigan so it is quite a distance. I have noticed the futher the location the higher the latency/ping. Is 400-500ms from Michigan to Arizona bad? That said, the new modem did bring down that number from 1000ms to 400-500ms.

Also, with the new modem my ISP said they send 50 packets and all got lost...

Thanks for your help.

Apr 3, 2022
What game is it? If it’s only the one game the problem is probably with that game’s servers.

Madden. However, I dont really play any other games. I play Mortal Kombat 11 in the cloud just to goof off...but nothing where I can say I can actually know if it is lagging.

But my questions are:

1. Why such a spike in latency every 10 seconds on Azure Latency test?

2. Is it normal to have large latency for far distances? Example: My ping test is 400-500ms from to Arizona but only 150ms around Chicago. I live closer to Chicago.

3. Why a drop in latency spikes with the ISP modem to the Arizona server (which was 1000ms at times but mostly around 500ms...)....but now with the bought modem it is still 400-500ms to the Arizona server).

4. Why do all the ping tests on all these speed tests come back as normal (including the xbox networking test on the console itself)

5. Why does my ISP say all 50 packets got lost? Should I have them re-test?

6. Is the Azure Latency Test reliable and the correct test to use to get a clear picture of any issues?

I would not put it past EA Sports having s ever issue. However, I watch a lot of streamers playing Madden and they dont complain. I even asked some of them...and they dont ever have issues. However, I've has issues since I started playing 4 months ago. About 80-90 percent of my games have lag. It makes me lose. Then sometimes I will have an ok connection. Very rarely a good one.

But no one else seems to complain. Not not nearly as much as I do. Some lag at times is understandable. For me, the game is torture to play most of the times. I have found the game is only an ok connection ( not exactly good) during e late nights 4am EST. But I doenst last long. And again, not any streamer I ask has an issue. Some people I message on xbox do, but not am overwhelming amount. I'd say 7 outta 10 say they have no lag.

I will also say that so far with the new modem the game is better.

Last edited:
It is unfortunate that google still find outdated information. The Puma problem was patched and does not cause a issue for actual users. The people who did the puma test I think didn't like feeling outdated so they tweaked the test so it still shows a problem but this is with a artificial data stream that does not represent any real game traffic that was being affected before they patched it. Too bad you can't make them pay for the new modem you purchased for misleading you.

Latency/spikes are pretty much only caused by a overloaded connection. There are some garbage autoconfig options in windows that can cause it also but since you are using a console it can't be that.

I am not sure I would trust one tool. Try to verify it with a simple ping command. You can leave a constant ping run to say 8.8.8.8. This should go to a server very close to your house likely under 20ms.

I would also run a constant ping to your router IP to be sure you don't have some strangeness inside your house causing this. If you were on wifi you would see spikes like this to your router also.

If you see nothing with the ping to 8.8.8.8 it means the problem is more complex that some problem with the connection to your house. Note you would need to see many more than just 1 here and there. The server or even your console could have been busy doing something else and added a bit of delay.

Solution
Apr 3, 2022

I am not sure I would trust one tool. Try to verify it with a simple ping command. You can leave a constant ping run to say 8.8.8.8. This should go to a server very close to your house likely under 20ms.

I would also run a constant ping to your router IP to be sure you don't have some strangeness inside your house causing this. If you were on wifi you would see spikes like this to your router also.

If you see nothing with the ping to 8.8.8.8 it means the problem is more complex that some problem with the connection to your house. Note you would need to see many more than just 1 here and there. The server or even your console could have been busy doing something else and added a bit of delay.

Hello, I am kinda lost. Sorry.

I guess I am wondering why I am getting spikes in my latency every 5 to 10 seconds....I live alone. I a single family house. New house. New wiring. I know that doesnt mean there isnt an issue (like a staple or something damaging the line)....but...as I said...I live alone and I dont use any other bandwidth when running this test. I also used the 2nd test I mentioned above and it came back high as well. The site is:

ping.canbeuseful.com

I called my ISP back and they said they sent 50 packets again and they all got recieved. But I am still having high spikes in latency every 5 to 10 seconds.

How high should my latency MS be from Michigan to Arizona? Every 5 to 10 seconds it spikes to 400ms from Michigan to the Arizona server. This test is on the Azure Latency Test. The closest server to me on that test is Illinios (I live in Michigan)....and it spikes from 47ms to over 200ms at times....always over 100ms.

I guess I a wondering why I am seeing spikes at all?

Is this test Azure Latency test listed below even the correct test for me to run?

https://www.azurespeed.com/Azure/Latency

Thank you for your help. If you can explain this is layman's terms that helps. I am not an expert.

Last edited:
Do you have a pc that you can test with. I have not had a game console in many years so I do not know what you can and can't do with them.

You want a device you can type actual ping command in. Maybe there is some app or something in a xbox.

In any case the command for a pc is

PING 8.8.8.8 -t

This is a google DNS server that exists in multiple locations with the same IP address. In most cases it is very close to most people, likely about 10-15ms away. These are huge stable servers so it is a very good one to test against.

If you get spikes to that then you need to do more detailed testing.

Apr 3, 2022
Do you have a pc that you can test with. I have not had a game console in many years so I do not know what you can and can't do with them.

You want a device you can type actual ping command in. Maybe there is some app or something in a xbox.

In any case the command for a pc is

PING 8.8.8.8 -t

This is a google DNS server that exists in multiple locations with the same IP address. In most cases it is very close to most people, likely about 10-15ms away. These are huge stable servers so it is a very good one to test against.

If you get spikes to that then you need to do more detailed testing.

So I had the technician test it...(they called and came today...). I had him ping Google 8.8.8.8

My test was a solid 19-21ms.

But....my issue is with gaming and to my understanding (now after reading about bufferbloat)....I should have ran a speed test whils if was testing.

However, the dslreports bufferbloat test and everything else comes back as and "A" grade.

But....why am I seeing lag spikes on Azurespeed.com latency test?

I also used another website that had latency spikes as well....it was called :

Testmy.net

The results from that are not like as high as Azure speed test.... but it's still around 400.

I just played a game and had higher lag ...then I ran another azure test and it was higher than before. This time had spikes near 1000ms

I don't know how to fix this issue and neither does my ISP apparently.

Bufferbloat is a scam test for stupid/lazy gamers who have no clue how things work. You only get bufferbloat if you are exceeding the capacity of your internet connection....ie data is being placed in buffers to avoid discarding it. If you are not exceeding your internet capacity you will not get buffer bloat. That test site intentionally overloads even the largest connection. It is more to test that you have configured a very special form of QoS most routers do not support. BUT you do not need that special QoS if you do not exceed your bandwidth to begin with. You will note that is on a site called "DSL" reports. DSL connections are very small in general and can be much more easily overloaded. This is all comes because you have stupid gamers who just repeat stuff they have no clue what means, they chat bufferbloat, bufferbloat because some test site gives them red numbers with no idea why.

Bufferbloat is actually a good thing for any thing other than online games. It even helps with download speed on games. So this is why devices have these buffers to begin with.

The problem could be outside your ISP network in another ISP. It could be in the connection between your ISP and only certain ISP. azurespeed uses microsoft network so it could be some issue between your ISP and microsoft. It could also be between a different ISP in the path to microsoft. This would also affect games
that run on microsoft network.

In any case if that is the problem you can not do anything to get that fixed other than get a different ISP.

I assume this is a game console you are testing on ? Have you tired any other device in your house to see if it see similar problems. Does azurespeed run on a cell phone if you do not have a pc. This could be some issue with the game console.

TRENDING THREADS