Please help me make sure I select the correct partition to delete

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
How can I be sure I'm not going to delete the wrong hard drive?

I've got 4 total drive, 6 drive letters. 2 of them are on System Reserved.

One drive is 2 TB, I know not to touch that one and it's easy to spot. That being said, the remaining drives are all 500GB.

According to disk management,
Disk 0 is mapped to drive H and I.
Disk 1 is mapped to drive F and G.
Disk 2 is mapped to E (this is my 2 TB drive)
Disk 3 is mapped to drive C and an un-mapped System Reserved drive

I'm probably being paranoid but I don't want to make a mistake. I can safely delete F, g, H, and I without it affecting my system?

Those drives hold my former system, well former 2 systems and I'm comfortable with removing those back ups. I'll re-use them for my current system's back up.

I hope this all makes sense.

Solution

1. We're assuming that there is NO data presently on the two 500 GB drives (Disk 0 & Disk 1) that you want or need. If that is NOT the case, then stop right here.

2. Then simply use the DiskPart utility to "clean" each of those disks. I don't know if you're familiar with using DiskPart for this purpose. It's easy to do and I can walk you through it if you want.

3. After both drives have been cleaned you'll be able to use Disk Management to initialize, partition, and format those drives for whatever purposes you have in mind. Or you can let one or both remain "virgin" if that's what you want.

It will be a lot easier to help you if you would submit a screenshot of Disk Management with all those drives connected. Ensure that the screenshot includes the schematic for both your installed drives as well as the upper portion of DM so as to include the info in the various columns just below the icon menu bar (the info in the columns from "Volume" to "% Free".

USAFRet

Titan
The safe way to do this is in steps

1. Disconnect ALL drives, except your C drive. This would be Disk 3 in your current setup
Does the system boot up properly?
If yes, then...

2. Reconnect one and only other drive that you wish to erase.
Explore and get familiar with diskpart at the commandline.
Wipe that drive.

Assuming you didn't accidentally kill your OS drive...

3. Disconnect this now deleted drive, and connect one of the others.
Repeat until you arrive at the drive config you want.

1. We're assuming that there is NO data presently on the two 500 GB drives (Disk 0 & Disk 1) that you want or need. If that is NOT the case, then stop right here.

2. Then simply use the DiskPart utility to "clean" each of those disks. I don't know if you're familiar with using DiskPart for this purpose. It's easy to do and I can walk you through it if you want.

3. After both drives have been cleaned you'll be able to use Disk Management to initialize, partition, and format those drives for whatever purposes you have in mind. Or you can let one or both remain "virgin" if that's what you want.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS