Question Please help me open my port

iPenguin02

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
I installed an FTP service running on Windows 10 on Hyper-V. The Host PC is running windows as well. The port I assigned to the FTP is 1500. I need help access it remotely. I am able to connect to the FTP internally.

My Spectrum modem is on the 192.168.0.X network which I only have my Asus router connected. I am using the Asus to assign the IP address scheme that I wanted 172.16.1.X. My Asus router's WAN IP is 192.168.0.2, but also 172.16.1.1

Things I've Tried: Please let me know if anything I've tried is not needed.
Added Inbound TCP/UDP rule for port 1500
Added Outbound TCP/UDP rule for port 1500 (Not sure if this was needed, no guide online says to do this, but I'm stuck)
Turn off windows firewall completely
-- I've done this on both the Hyper-V session and the Host PC
Opened port on my Spectrum Arris modem and pointed it to my Router (static)
Opened the port on my Asus Routed and pointed it to the FTP PC (static)

netstat -an - shows the port as Listening.

I'm using these 2 sites to check ports.
https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
https://www.portcheckers.com/

Based off closed ports for Spectrum, the port I want to use is not being blocked
https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/blocked-ports/

Thank you in advance for any help

Configure guest VM on Hyper-V to connect directly to the Ethernet adapter on the host PC, that's way it will get IP address from the router in the same way as your host PC is getting, then you will be able to port-forward as usual. Test before that from another PC connected to the same router.

As a side note: Port-forwarding FTP server is not the easiest, or most secure operation. Start testing with web (IIS) server first, then with standard FTP port settings, and finally with your custom FTP port.

iPenguin02

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Configure guest VM on Hyper-V to connect directly to the Ethernet adapter on the host PC, that's way it will get IP address from the router in the same way as your host PC is getting, then you will be able to port-forward as usual. Test before that from another PC connected to the same router.

As a side note: Port-forwarding FTP server is not the easiest, or most secure operation. Start testing with web (IIS) server first, then with standard FTP port settings, and finally with your custom FTP port.

Thank you I will give this a try.

iPenguin02

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014

No luck. I am able to connect using WinSCP to the FTP server from within, but remotely seems to still be an issue.

You have massively over complicated this by double NAT. Please can you explain this "
My Asus router's WAN IP is 192.168.0.2, but also 172.16.1.1"

How do you have 2 WAN IPs?

From my understanding you have your primary modem/router connected to your ISP handing out 192.168.x.x to the WAN connection on a second router (ASUS). Your incoming request has to pass through both routers? Have you tried putting the ASUS in a DMZ, then forward the ports on just your primary?

iPenguin02

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
You have massively over complicated this by double NAT. Please can you explain this "
My Asus router's WAN IP is 192.168.0.2, but also 172.16.1.1"

How do you have 2 WAN IPs?

From my understanding you have your primary modem/router connected to your ISP handing out 192.168.x.x to the WAN connection on a second router (ASUS). Your incoming request has to pass through both routers? Have you tried putting the ASUS in a DMZ, then forward the ports on just your primary?

Sorry for complicating things.

My Spectrum modem ip is 192.168.0.1. It assigned my Asus router 192.168.0.2.
My internal network scheme is using 172.16.1.1
When I connect to my Asus it says the WAN IP is the IP the modem assigned it, 192.168.0.2.
Not sure how I could of phrased it without causing confusing.

I have not tried DMZ. I've never used it before. I'll do some research into it and give it a try.

Yes u have some complication there but it doesn't matter. The same IP you are accessing to it via LAN should also be the same LAN static IP when accessing from the outside. When u say you are connecting to it INTERNALLY I hope you mean another box on the LAN and not within the same box. If you can't FTP from another LAN box, am out.

U don't need any outbound config. Port forward is about WAN to LAN steering.

Double NATing is another complication, once I had to do this but recall thinking double-NAT would break torrent but don't remember why. Do u HAVE to double NAT? Can't configure WIFI router as simple Access Point? will at least simplify things. NAT box is typically where DHCP server lives, and u should have only ONE DHCP server.

With FTP port forwarding, should use 255.255.255.255 mask.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS