Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
My build is as follows.
Fx 8350
Xfx r9 280x
Asus M5a97 r.20 mobo
8 gb gskill 1600mhz ram (ddr 3)
2 HDD 1tb
And I just got a new psu (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438014&cm_re=evga_600w-_-17-438-014-_-Product) <- that one
my old one was a 730watt raidmaxx that was goign so I bought the evga.
Now, my problem is. my temps are all normal, and when i'm using the internet or doing basic stuff computer ran fine. I even fell asleep this morning with it running for like 8+ hours. Ran fine, never shut off.
But as SOON as I try to load up league of legends, it queues up in a match and once the game starts running and I start moving my character it shuts off completely. I have checked all the coords and bios settings and can't seem to figure out whats wrong. I have never had this problem before.
All my fans are running and cleaned out, not sure what the prob could be? Can anyone help?

Update; I've gotten games to run fine now for some odd reason, but i am not sure what caused this, and not sure if it's 100% fixed. I tried pluging my sound card device in (scarlett 2i2) when i got the games to work and the sound card was having problems (it plugs in from usb) so I tried a different slot and that ended up working.

Anybody have any idea what's goign on? some people have told me to get a higher wattage psu
but i read online that this one is fine for this gfx card and is more than enough to power it.

I personally think there's something maybe faulty with the new PSU or my mobo may be going.

Psu doesn't make much sense tho because it stopped crashing so far.

Solution
Mostly. PSU 12v is a little low if those are idle readings.

Try eliminating the power strip. Plug directly into the wall socket. Cheap power strips are a BAD idea to use for protection and at best are a poor way to supply clean power to your PSU and system. I've seen a whole lot of power related issues that were directly related to power strip usage.

Also, while that's not a TERRIBLE power supply, the EVGA B series I mean, it's not a terribly great one either. If you want to ensure you have a really decent unit then I'd find something listed on Tiers 1 or 2 here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Jruss1822

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
Same card. I just tried starting up a game of league soon as i got a game started it shut down. I'm beginning to think it's either the psu or surge protector now. It runs prime 95 and the ooc app or whatever it's called fine. I'm honestly out of ideas. I looked online and people are saying even 500watts are enough for a build like mine so IDK if it's the wattage or what. The GPU is xfx r9 280x. This psu should be fine shouldn't it

Mostly. PSU 12v is a little low if those are idle readings.

Try eliminating the power strip. Plug directly into the wall socket. Cheap power strips are a BAD idea to use for protection and at best are a poor way to supply clean power to your PSU and system. I've seen a whole lot of power related issues that were directly related to power strip usage.

Also, while that's not a TERRIBLE power supply, the EVGA B series I mean, it's not a terribly great one either. If you want to ensure you have a really decent unit then I'd find something listed on Tiers 1 or 2 here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Solution

TRENDING THREADS