Question Please help me overclock "Gainward Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti Phoenix GS 11GB"

Meister Sunface

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
Hi, :)
I want to overclock "Gainward Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti Phoenix GS 11GB" with MSI Afterburner.
Does that work at all or do I have to use the OC tool from Gainward?

I don't want to install a lot of software forever. And I use Afterburner as always for the display.

Now I wonder if that makes sense?
Whether Afterburner is as good as Gainward's tool.
What is better?

Thank you and best regards, Sunface

zx128k

Reputable
The card will boost higher because of the better temperatures and because with water the temperature remains low and stable. The card normally stays at the high core frequency. Also you can put more voltage into the gpu and not overheat. Whether or not the cost is worth the small performance increase is a personal choice.

If you have two 2080 ti or 2080 cards then water cooling is likely required to stop both cards running at high temperatures and possibly overheating. The top card also does not get much room because the card below blocks the air intakes for the fans and heat tends to recirculate.

I had a crossfire system with two 290x cards. The top one died because it would run 10-20c hotter than the bottom card.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't use water cooling if that was your question?
No, I was asking what kind of temps your gpu was seeing in game?
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/204124/gainward-rtx2080ti-11264-180905
The gpu has a thermal limit of 84C, so if by chance, you were normally already close to that, then trying to OC would certainly push it to that thermal limit.

Does overclocking only make sense with water cooling?
No. You can totally OC on air, but due to Nvidia's Gpu Boost algorithm, which is temperature sensitive - how high it will boost depends on power and thermal headroom available.
So, if the card were already running warm, you'd see next to no benefit from trying to OC.

Reactions: Meister Sunface

zx128k

Reputable
No, I was asking what kind of temps your gpu was seeing in game?
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/204124/gainward-rtx2080ti-11264-180905
The gpu has a thermal limit of 84C, so if by chance, you were normally already close to that, then trying to OC would certainly push it to that thermal limit.

No. You can totally OC on air, but due to Nvidia's Gpu Boost algorithm, which is temperature sensitive - how high it will boost depends on power and thermal headroom available.
So, if the card were already running warm, you'd see next to no benefit from trying to OC.

The main issue with RTX cards is getting the RT/tensor cores stable. Control is the best stress test (DLSS is shader and not tensor). Most overclock's fail in Control but are fine in every other game. You could be stable at +65-80 core for most games but will freeze in Control with anything higher than +40. The same with the RAM, Metro Exodus and Control are best to find a maximum vRAM overclock. Your overclock will be unstable in Control long before you hit thermal issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meister Sunface

Meister Sunface

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
Screenshot_2020-01-11_I_scored_13_317_in_Time_Spy2.png

Greets form Germany. :D

If you dont play at 4K, you really don't need to OC a 2080 Ti. I play Ultra 4K60Hz and I have a Strix OC 2080 Ti, I get 16109 overclocked game stable in Time Spy with air cooling. 16400 game unstable. Some users with watercooling get 16800.

I can run anything maxed out 4K more than 60fps. Slowest game is AC Odyssey Ultra avg 67fps with volumetrics cloud on low.

Reactions: King_V
Mar 1, 2020
If you dont play at 4K, you really don't need to OC a 2080 Ti. I play Ultra 4K60Hz and I have a Strix OC 2080 Ti, I get 16109 overclocked game stable in Time Spy with air cooling. 16400 game unstable. Some users with watercooling get 16800.

I can run anything maxed out 4K more than 60fps. Slowest game is AC Odyssey Ultra avg 67fps with volumetrics cloud on low.

Uhm. I am an Apex Legends Predator rank gamer.. I always try and push for 240 FPS to match my 240hz monitor and most Battle Royale FPS games have crazy requirements at those framerates. I cannot get stable 240 FPS even at 1920x1080 res in Apex Legends or PUBG without overclocking both my CPU and my GPU.

I guess you are right that I do not NEED to, but oh my is it a smooth experience.