Please Help Me Pick a New Compatible Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost101

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
So, I recently go a cyberpowerPC computer as a birthday gift. Everything with the system is great and runs perfect, my only gripe if the graphics cards is a little to weak. Here are the system specs.

Processor 3.6 GHz FX-Series Quad-Core FX-4100
RAM 8 GB DDR3
Hard Drive 1024 GB SATA III
Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GT610
Graphics Card Ram Size 1024 MB
Number of USB 2.0 Ports 6
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA-600
Hard Drive Rotational Speed 7200 RPM
Optical Drive Type 24x DVD±RW

I am looking for a graphics card that will be a little better than this one, I looked on Amazon today, and this graphics card the computer came with is only like 40 bucks...I would like to get one with a bit more power. I like to play MMOs mainly, and am playing Star Wars The Old Republic right now, and it performs decent, but the game play can be a little to choppy, especially in higher player population areas.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Solution

There is no need for the 600w. Its an overkill for your system even if you had the GTX680.
After this I can see that you have 2 options.

1st Keep the psu and buy HIS iCooler H775F1GD Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5. $89.99

2nd Buy CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 and SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5. $109.99 + $59.99 = $169.98

Personally I would prefer the 2nd choice becuase it will get you better gpu, great psu (which in my opinion should be something that...

gigantor21

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
You have a specific budget in mind? What resolution are you playing at?

Also, what kind of power supply does it have? Because I got a CyberPowerPC as a gift, too, and when I upgraded my card I had to replace the PSU because it was a piece of crap.

EzioAs

Distinguished
What's your power supply unit (specific model), resolution you're gaming at and as well as budget? It's good if you could link us to where you're buying it too. These information can help us give you better recommendations.

@gigantor21

I see you beat me to it.

ghost101

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

+1 for both. Power supply and budget limitations would be a great info.

Also about the problem you said in the population areas, even I with the GTX570 have problems. In populated areas the game engine uses the cpu a lot so I with the Q6600 and you with the FX4100 (even when your CPU is superior to mine it's still not i5 sandybridge/ivybridge) have problems here. But don't worry you will notice huge difference if you buy an around $100 gpu.

ghost101

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
You mentioned PSU, I am not as skilled as you guys with abbreviations. I know what parts are what and how they function as well but not sure what PSU stands for. Sorry, I am still not a pro, but learning! I can spend up to $125 but prefer around $80 if possible lol. But that said, if spending 125 over 80 will grant much better results, I will spend the 125.

The link I posted to the amazon listing is the computer I have. I am not home so I can not look in the case. If the information is not stated on the Amazon listing with the info you need I can look online and see what I can find (maybe CyberpowerPC will have more details?).

Independent of the power supply and assuming you're running at 1080p, for MMO games, the minimum model of GPU I'd suggest is a GTX 660 ti.

I think you'll still get some choppy play in really busy areas occasionally because this is the nature of MMORPGs since they're heavily CPU-dependent and for other reasons that could exist on the server side. But when you upgrade to a better video card, you'll know it's not because of your video card and you'll be able to turn up the eye candy.

That being said... What is the make/model of the PSU?

Then go with 7750. Its cheap, it doesn't use any 6pin PCI-Ex from the psu and it uses only about 50-60 watt. You will also notice great difference moving up from GT610. But I would love if you could find or ask at the place you bought it about the PSU info jus tto be sure.

edit: Power Supply: 500 Watt - AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz) looks nice but we need info about the brand and the A on the 12V which they are connected to the GPU.

edit2: From a little research I did, the only 500watt PSU Cyberpower used is the Corsair CX500V2 which is a great quality and perforamance PSU. It should be able to power any GPU you will throw to it.

ghost101

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Oh, well if the choppy gameplay in heavy populated areas in not due to the graphic card, perhaps I have no real need to upgrade it? Does anyone have suggestions to help increase gameplay from the occassional choppy feel when in a major area with high population? My brothers system runs just fine the the heavy popluation areas, my system makes it annoying to run through and causes my stress when turning here and there lol. I was want a smoother gameplay experince, the look of the graphics are ok, its the laggy/choopy feel I get that drives me nuts.

If your brother's PC runs fine when yours doesn't, then you know it's not something server related. A GPU upgrade is a good option.

ghost101

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
All I know is it says 500W power supply (I am guess PSU means power supply unit? Please do not judge if I am wrong lol). I am not at home so I can not look at the brand right now, but does brand really matter? Is the watt not only what we need? 500w?

I read some comments and there was a person that upgrade to 7750 with no problems. :).

I don't think a graphics card as low as a 7750 is going to give you what you're expecting. From a gaming standpoint, it's not a whole lot of an upgrade.

What kind of processor and graphics card does your brother have? If you want smooth performance like your brother has, I'd ask him what his running with.

Yes thats the right one :D

ghost101

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
I can spend a little more on the card if I must, I just want to know of the graphics card will help the choppy play in populated areas or not. Seems like some say yes others say no. Can we start with an answer on that? I do not want to spend nearly 100 bucks on something that wont help...

It's not going to help. You'll be going from not good gaming performance in the GTX 610 to a little better than not good gaming performance in a Radeon 7750. It's just not going to meet your expectation.

Have you tried turning details down in game?

What processor and video card does your brother run with? The reason I ask is this level of performance seems to be your expectation of performance in an upgrade.

Well he wants to play MMO like SWTOR. And 7750 has enough horsepower to play the game at 1080p, maximum settings without AA.
High%201920.png

5770 has same power with 7750.

And also about the psu the fact that I am not sure what is it. But its capable of supplying a 7750. Also with a prefereable $80 budget and max $125, I can't see a better solution.

ghost101

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
I understand your point, he is running something much higher end, around $200-$250 in cost, AMD true color 2GB 7850 I think (It is somethin g like that, not sure excatly).

HOWEVER, what I was not saying this for is because I do not need as much power as he does. He plays higher end games, I play more casual MMO games. He can play games like Skyrim on higher settings. I have no problem paying more for a better card, but I want to make sure my computer will not catch on fire or the new GPU not work with my system. I am looking for the best priced best graphics card that will work with my computer. I do not need to play Crysis 3 on this system, just higher end MMOs is all I really like.

I think he will notice the difference from a 400% performance jump, LOL.
The GeForce GT 610 card is a rebranded GeForce GT 520. They are both GF119. Now lets see the difference from a 7750 with their latest drivers.
perfrel_1920.gif

6% vs 23%.
23/6= 3,84 = 384%.

7750 will also play with good visuals the Guild Wars 2:
Balanced%201920%20B.png

And this was in beta. there should be more fps right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.