PLEASE HELP ME! Really important! Can't boot my pc!!!

G

So last night I installed a windows 10 theme from skinpacks.com on my windows 8.1 machine. Today I decided I didnt like it anymore so I just uninstalled it using the revo uninstaller pro so it won't leave any leftovers. It did as I expected it to so I deleted the leftovers using the unistaller. After that I went to the personalization screen to select the default windows theme. But then I saw that the theme was not fully removed as it left some themes named windows10tpblue red green etc. I searched on Google on how I could remove third party themes and I went to windows/resources and I found and deleted the themes. Maybe there was another subfolder but I can't remember. Anyway I checked again after that and the themes were uninstalled. After that I wanted the icons of the theme but nothing else so I installed it again but chose to install only the icons and not the theme or uxstyle it offered in the installer. After that I restarted my system. Now after the windows screen I get a black screen and I can only see the cursor. Sometimes if I click I get a cursor loading for a few seconds. And here is the worst part. This problem seems to affect safe mode too as I get the exact same black screen with cursor just with a bigger cursor because of safe modes resolution!!!! I tried everything I know. I inserted my windows 8.1 disc and opened command prompt. From there I uses the sfc scannow command with no luck. Each time I type the command and hit enter, it gives me a message saying that another scan is pending and to restart my pc. Also under the troubleshoot section there is an option to diagnose why windows won't load but when I do that, it gives my a new screen saying that windows is being diagnosed and after a couple of seconds it tells me that it couldn't diagnose my pc giving me the option to shut down my pc or go back to troubleshoot. System restore is also not an option. Also I tried some commands using the command prompt involving dism.exe and DISM but I had absolutely no luck with them. Formatting my pc is out of question and the "refresh windows" option should only be used as a last resort but I'm not even sure it will fix my problem. I don't even know what caused the problem. I'm really desperate.. I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP. If someone can post anything useful please do!!!! Also if you know tell me if refreshing is going to fix my problem.

mattmidori

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
You will need to restore your uxtheme.dll,you can download it online,it should be for windows 8.
Try to enter windows recovery mode by typing F8,then check the cmd option and try to acess the explorer just like this, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

Then try to copy the uxtheme.dll file in system32.

G

And how should I restore the file? I know how to get to the command prompt window but since I cant boot to either normal or safe mode I don't know how to restore the file... Should I download it using my laptop and copy it to my USB or something like that???

firemaster9309

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
u will need to reinstall windows on your computer as it seems you have deleted a necessary file for the system to operate. so, i suggest that if you don't want to lose all your info on your hard disk(s) then you should get a spare hard drive and boot windows from that and then save the info from the drives from my computer. This is your best solution if you want to do it fast and easier(hopefully).

G

ÉDIT: I used the move command but it said that the file exists... Should I replace it?