Question Please help me record gameplay... (Yes this has to do with storage)

Sep 25, 2020
Please help, I have NO IDEA where to ask this, so fellow PC brethrens, help a man out.

Alright let's get this out of the way, I have a question about my PC and it's ability to record 1080p at 60FPS. First off my issue. I have my whole life wanted a youtube channel, and for the love of GOD i can NEVER record fluid 60fps gameplay.

Now i have tried this with 2 different builds. My first pc was better than my current one as i had to sell it for funds for college, and i have since then built a new one with the budget i had after college.
In 2017 i had a 1080 Turbo ASUS GPU, paired with an i7 7700K. Some of the best hardware around at the time. Or i had liked to think. BUT i had an HDD 2TB with it. Could never record using OBS or Dxtory... Always got 20 fps... Windows 10 GameBar DVR? Perfect. Except it was so compressed and less sharp then the other recorders.

Now i have an i5 9600k paired with a 1660 Super OC Ventus Card, very good card for 1080p gaming. I get anywhere from 90-195 FPS on ultra on literally every game except maybe COD: MW. This PC is using my Samsung QVO 1TB SSD. AHCI mode is on because i heard it was better for recording than RAID. I have 16gb HyperX Fury RAM also.

My pc's have never been bad per se so why is my recording always so [removed] bad? My write speeds according to Crystal Disk 7 is in the 3-500 range, But Dxtory says 30mb/s!?! I am so tired of having (in my eyes) some damn decent hardware and NOT being able to record videos... Anyone please help. I have been tinkering with tech since i was 12 years old, and am only asking for some advice. I would gladly reply over this thread or join a discord call. Thanks in advance.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Just one tool at time - not both together.

First while gaming without recording and then while gaming and recording.

Test using all three (and others) recording apps.

If necessary and possible set up a second monitor in extended mode for the observation window..

Objective being to understand what computer resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using those resources. You can sort the results by clicking the up or down arrow in the column headers.

You may need to turn off / disable unnecessary apps running in the background. Perhaps turn off drive indexing, enlarge virtual memory. Determine what, if anything makes a difference.

HDD and SSD :

How full is each drive?

Has there been any disk management applied: cleaning and/or defragging?

(Remember that you do not defrag SSD's.)

Just some immediate thoughts and suggestions....

Sep 11, 2020
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Just one tool at time - not both together.

First while gaming without recording and then while gaming and recording.

Test using all three (and others) recording apps.

If necessary and possible set up a second monitor in extended mode for the observation window..

Objective being to understand what computer resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using those resources. You can sort the results by clicking the up or down arrow in the column headers.

You may need to turn off / disable unnecessary apps running in the background. Perhaps turn off drive indexing, enlarge virtual memory. Determine what, if anything makes a difference.

HDD and SSD :

How full is each drive?

Has there been any disk management applied: cleaning and/or defragging?

(Remember that you do not defrag SSD's.)

Just some immediate thoughts and suggestions....

edit- also maybe use a video capture card

it would probably be easier just to use something like twitch where they can save your vods and then download and edit them when your not streaming. Maybe theres a reason you dont do this idk.
Also, you can record logs through performance monitor in windows about system resources, so you dont have to toggle and can look afterwards.

Sep 25, 2020
edit- also maybe use a video capture card

it would probably be easier just to use something like twitch where they can save your vods and then download and edit them when your not streaming. Maybe theres a reason you dont do this idk.
Also, you can record logs through performance monitor in windows about system resources, so you dont have to toggle and can look afterwards.
you can just play while not streaming and then download the footage after? no i have not tried it, i haven't used twitch since 2015, maybe its worth downloading again.