Please help me to overclock ram

Feb 16, 2018
Hello! Please for your help to overclock manual my RAM memory :) My PC is: intel coffee lake 8100,motherboard-MSI z370-a pro,PSU-Cooler master 700W,video card-Nvidia evga 1060 sc 6gb mini and ram momory-G.SKILL DDR4 2x8GB 3200MHz RipjawsV F4-3200C16D-16GVKB. I think my CPU supports 2400 frequencies,this frequency is overclocking? If I have to overclock at this frequency, would you tell me exactly what I need to increase and is it worth the 3200 overclocking for my system ? Thanks!!!

Solution
First, you would want to run Memtest86. Create bootable USB media, boot to the created USB drive and run four passes of all eleven tests.

If that passes, then download and install Prime95 version 26.6, and ONLY version 26.6. Click on Custom. Enter 512k in the min FFT field. Leave the max FFT field at 4096k. Enter 8192 in the amount of memory to test field. Run for 8 hours.

You will want to have HWinfo (Sensors only) running alongside Prime95 so you can occasionally monitor all threads to make sure all cores and thread remain at 100%. If any core drops out, then that worker had errors and there are stability issues that require reconfiguration of the memory. That might be a change of timings or an increase in voltage. Also, in HWinfo...
Why do you have a locked CPU on an unlocked motherboard? Seems a waste, but I guess it is what it is, now.

As to your memory, that CPU only supports up 2400mhz by default, but with that motherboard you should be able to use a somewhat higher frequency. There is no guarantee though as many people often have to at least slightly overclock the CPU to get their memory to run at high speeds like 3200mhz, even when that is the advertised XMP profile speed. This is because the memory controller is often lazy at lower CPU clock speeds.

Since you can't overclock that CPU, you may not be able to get it to run at that speed but you can certainly try by simply enabling the XMP profile in the bios, in the advanced memory configuration section.

Feb 16, 2018
Thanks for the quick response! As for the processor and the motherboard, it was my money I had :) I tried now with XMP profile,and raised my speed to 3200 but my question is whether if it overclocked at the same speed but without XMP profile? I read in forums that it is better to overclock manually but I do not know how....

No, if you don't know how to manually configure the memory, and it's a long, painstaking process to tighten the timings and dial in memory, then you are much better off just leaving it at the XMP profile.

There is VERY, VERY little to be gained by manually tweaking the memory configuration beyond the basic XMP profile settings. I would leave it unless you have a desire to spend MANY, MANY hours/days messing around with it and running both Memtest and Prime95 Blend/Custom to verify stability.

First, you would want to run Memtest86. Create bootable USB media, boot to the created USB drive and run four passes of all eleven tests.

If that passes, then download and install Prime95 version 26.6, and ONLY version 26.6. Click on Custom. Enter 512k in the min FFT field. Leave the max FFT field at 4096k. Enter 8192 in the amount of memory to test field. Run for 8 hours.

You will want to have HWinfo (Sensors only) running alongside Prime95 so you can occasionally monitor all threads to make sure all cores and thread remain at 100%. If any core drops out, then that worker had errors and there are stability issues that require reconfiguration of the memory. That might be a change of timings or an increase in voltage. Also, in HWinfo you will want to monitor the memory for the first half hour or so to make sure that the DIMM temperature of both modules remains below 60°C. Most memory is ok up to 80°C but if it's running higher, ever, than 60°C then something is probably either not configured right, the voltage is way too high or there is a serious lack of case airflow.

Solution
Memtest doesn't get run in "hours". It gets run until it's done with all the tests for however many passes you wish to run. Four passes of Memtest86 (NOT Memtest86+) could take anywhere from four to ten hours depending on the system.

I would also recommend running Realbench for 8 hours after any configuration changes to the memory or CPU.

I don't know what that is? HWinfo is not a stress or memory test. That is just used to keep track of all your thermal sensors and other hardware WHILE you are running Prime95 or other processes. You're not supposed to run HWinfo by itself. You're supposed to run it WITH Prime95, so you can keep track of whether any CPU workers fail or not. I guess you don't need to run HWinfo too, but it sometimes is good to have something to check thermals etc. to make sure everything is ok while running Prime95.

No, I mean that last set of screenshots shows only the HWinfo window. Did you HAVE something else running while you took those? Generally we like to see the Prime95 window on the left WITH the HWinfo window on the right. Otherwise it just looks like you have HWinfo running and that's it.

But if you DID have the Prime Blend or Custom running when you took those, then the sensor readings all look good to me.

Two hours is not enough though. Run the test overnight if possible or while you are at work. I've found MANY memory configurations to be unstable all the way to 7.5 hours. 8 hours is what is most acceptable while still being patently reasonable.

After passing 8 hours of that, run Realbench for 8 hours. Choose approximately half your memory amount along with 8 hours on the stress test option. Do not plan to use your system during those 8 hours. It will not be usable while Realbench is running.

There are no options for testing the motherboard. If your memory, graphics card and CPU pass all tests, then I guess the motherboard has as well. Maybe also storage tests, with the drives, using Seatools for windows or WD lifeguard tools. If it passes all of those, there is nothing immediately wrong with the board that I can think of.

For graphics cards, check out this thread. Lot's of good information in there IF you take the time to parse through the whole thread.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3536560/tom-superposition-thread.html