Please help me to solve the issue I am facing with my pc

May 18, 2018
I own a 11 year old PC with the following specs
Intel core 2 duo dual core processor clocked at 2.20ghz
An Intel motherboard ( don't know the model no.)
3 GB Transcend RAM (756Mhz)
Seagate 128GB Hard drive
256MB on board graphics
Iam currently using Windows 7 SP1. For over a month I am facing an issue of random freezing of my PC while doing basic day to day tasks. Earlier i had no issues while doing these tasks. By day to day tasks I mean browsing the web, playing games which were released before 2002 on low settings, creating word documents and so on. I think this issue is caused due to a faulty hard drive, but I am not sure. Earlier my PC took almost 50-60 seconds to boot to the desktop but now it takes over a minute. Please help me to find a solution.

Solution
Do you know if there happened to be some sort of Windows 7 update? Would not expect so but not willing to set that possibility aside just as a matter of record.

What makes you believe that the hard drive is faulty? Not disagreeing in any way - just looking for more information about what is or is not happening.

How full is the hard drive? HDD or SSD? 128 GB is very small for most systems - even older systems. Have you ever done any maintenance on the drive? E.g. Disk cleaning, defragmentation.

Have you backed up and verified your data? If not, you should do so as soon as possible. But do be aware that a failing drive could cause loss of data at any time. Anything you do might trigger data loss.

Consider running Seagate's...

Ralston18

Titan
Do you know if there happened to be some sort of Windows 7 update? Would not expect so but not willing to set that possibility aside just as a matter of record.

What makes you believe that the hard drive is faulty? Not disagreeing in any way - just looking for more information about what is or is not happening.

How full is the hard drive? HDD or SSD? 128 GB is very small for most systems - even older systems. Have you ever done any maintenance on the drive? E.g. Disk cleaning, defragmentation.

Have you backed up and verified your data? If not, you should do so as soon as possible. But do be aware that a failing drive could cause loss of data at any time. Anything you do might trigger data loss.

Consider running Seagate's Seatools diagnostic software on the drive. The tool may identify some issues within the drive.

Other things to consider: Possible power supply problems. Internal connections becoming loose - turn off the PC's power, open the case, and reseat all cables connections, memory modules, chips, jumpers, etc. They may look tight but are not fully and firmly connected.

While the case is open, do some housecleaning inside. Especially if the PC is full of dust, hairs, paper debris, old dead bugs, and all the other gunk that accumulates inside.

Solution