[SOLVED] Please help me understand difference usb wifi adapter

britpoprule

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Hello everyone.
I just wanted to ask about USB wifi adapters that I'm going to buy for a PC desktop.
What is the difference between AC600, AC1300, AC1900? Just the speed? Or also the length of the signal?
Do you believe a wifi card inside the PC would work better? What's the difference with a usb wifi adapter? I suppose the usb adapter is more convenient to install?
Thanks!

Solution
There is a optimum size for antenna and the length is based on the wave length. Since 2.4 is very close to 1/2 of 5 the antenna tend to work ok for both. Besides the frequencies are not exactly 2.4 and 5 they are a range so you never can get a perfect antenna for all the different radio channels you might use.

They are generally close enough. It is not like the ham radio antennas where the different antenna sizes are measured in feet rather than some tiny fraction of a inch.

Everything you have linked are basically trash brand names. They all buy from some supplier in china that slaps their name on them. It does not mean they don't work since the chipset are likely from companies like reltek but you can't expect any support...

britpoprule

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015

Both of those are USB wifi Adapters. They usually don't have a large antenna, because they usually don't need them. Best advice is to place them where they have a good line of sight/signal to the router/wifi extender that you are using. You can always use a USB extension cable and get the USB adapter away from the chassis (Computer Case) as they can give you interference.

Generally, the biggest difference between a Wifi Card, and a USB wifi adapter, is the ease of use. The card you have to physically install into your computer, and install the drivers, whereas the USB, you just plug in and install the drivers.

Also, just to let you know, the TP-Link adapter is much faster than the Foktech one.

AC600/1200/1750/1900 are all different variances of the AC channel. Basically, Wireless-N and AC combines both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ bandwidth, and uses both of them to give you more speed.

Here... https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/32175-how-fast-can-your-wi-fi-go is a good listing of the speeds that each one can provide.

The antenna is only part of the wifi. The antenna and the wifi radio are limited to a maximum power output by the government. Most times the manufacture pick optimum combinations. You could get one with say 10db of antenna but it would cause them to reduce the output power ot the wifi radio chip. It likely works better with a stronger radio chip and only 5db of antenna gain.

britpoprule

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Could you please help in the choice?
I was gonna go with the first one, as it's the one with the highest rating and n. of reviews, but kerberos_20 says that one antenna is not credible for both 5g and 2.4g.

There is a optimum size for antenna and the length is based on the wave length. Since 2.4 is very close to 1/2 of 5 the antenna tend to work ok for both. Besides the frequencies are not exactly 2.4 and 5 they are a range so you never can get a perfect antenna for all the different radio channels you might use.

They are generally close enough. It is not like the ham radio antennas where the different antenna sizes are measured in feet rather than some tiny fraction of a inch.

Everything you have linked are basically trash brand names. They all buy from some supplier in china that slaps their name on them. It does not mean they don't work since the chipset are likely from companies like reltek but you can't expect any support or anything if you have problems.

These generally are not actual network companies they are some guy sitting in his house and buying bulk from sites like alibaba and then having it all direct shipped to amazon. There is massive amount of stuff like this being sold on amazon

Solution