Please help me understand why I always get 60 FPS

letsrun4it

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017
Hi community. Super new PC gamer here. I built a 1800x 32gb 1080Ti SLI PC and bought an Acer Predator monitor for $800 that has 1440p.

I go to play a game like Doom (2016) in 1080p and in the upper left hand corner it says 60 FPS and sometimes dips to 59 but mostly sticks right at 60. This is Ultra settings with everything maxed out as high as the settings go.

Then I try it in 1440p and get the same FPS. Is it capped or something? Wouldn't I have gotten much higher FPS at 1080p than 1440p?

Any insight would be appreciated.

letsrun4it

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017

I don't know what vysnc is to be honest but I checked the settings in Doom and it has been preset to Adaptive (others include YES and NO) and yes my monitor is Gysnc

If disabling the VSync in game(as already suggested) doesn't fix the issue, the FPS cap may be through the Nvidia Control Panel or even through monitoring software like MSI Afterburner. Start with checking Nvidia Control Panel - usually it doesn't limit FPS automatically, and the FPS cap is game-specific in that. As for MSI Afterburner, if you have installed it, the FPS limiter option is in the On-Screen Display section - go there, click more, and there you'll find the framerate limit option.

letsrun4it

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017

Wow. Now it's floating at 150 FPS in 1440p. I'll watch a youtube video to understand what this VSync is.

Thank you. Appreciate you helping me out.

call me cynical here, but you've 'built' a high end gaming SLI machine, purchased an $800 monitor, and you don't know what Vsync is?

Anywho, as blockhead has said. Disable Vsync in the Nvidia control panel, and then in game. You should be good to go.

As a matter of interest, what exact model is your Monitor?

letsrun4it

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017

Well I don't see why you'd be skeptical but to explain why I may be a unique circumstance-- I hadn't built a PC since high school (I'm 34 now). I went to someone's house and was blown away by the VR experience. I used Reddit and Toms to learn how to put together 2 new computers. I had a computer shop help me with one of them and I put together this one.

Acer Predator XB271HU -- I got my PC built and then realized my 1080p monitor was wasting all the money I'd spent on the computer so I bought this one. Then got scared to shit when I read 100+ terrible experiences with people and this monitor but so far so good.

Ah I see. Well, congrats on building the system. It's a nice one.

The monitor looks awesome. Happy gaming :)

letsrun4it

Prominent
Jul 25, 2017

thanks man. appreciate it.

TRENDING THREADS