Please help me with choosing memory for motherboard

cronos8787

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
I decided to buy MSI B450 tomahawk with ryzen 2600.
Real problem is that I dunno will my chosen ram (which is on the motherboards supported list) work in desired speed.

kingston-hyperx-fury-16gb-ddr4-2933mhz-dimm-cl17-kit-2x-8gb/

or

kingston-hx432c18fb2k2-16 (3200mhz)

So if I choose 1st one - will it work on my board with that speed 2933 without setting anything in BIOS?
Question for both RAM - is there a chance that RAM will work on lowest speed without possibility to set it up on 2933 or 3200mhz?

G.Skill Flare which is most recommended as I read is about 70 eur more, for that money I can get i5 8400 and not to think about which RAM will choose and will it work on desired speed.

Solution
So I bought the same cpu and motherboard. Bought this one below and it looks amazing. Runs at 3200mhz no issues. It's on the qvl list. The only one on the list higher in the same price range is Kingston 3466 hyper x or maybe another model. I want to say the Kingston was a little more.

https://www.viper.patriotmemory.com/viperrgbdram

Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz 16GB Kit - Black - RGB Color Profiles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CX2X83Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wtF4BbKK1JZYZ

This will 100% run at 3200mhz. From what i understand it should overclock higher because of being b die, but I haven't tried, I'm fine with 3200mhz. Not sure how much it really matters now. I ran taiphoon burner and it shows right at the top Samsung...

skywalkerqq

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
No, the ram will run at 2400 because thats the default setting on all motherboards. It's not hard to change the settings, just when the computer boots up you click the f key it tells you to and the bios will pop up instead of starting the OS. Then find the ram settings and enable XMP, and set the ram to the desired speed. I would buy whichever kit is cheaper, ram speed has almost no effect on performance and since those speeds all pretty close you should be perfectly fine choosing either. And... you can overclock ram, but it still doesn't improve performance much.

update:
the default speed is actually 2133 i think

If it's on the QVL, the DIMMS have been tested to work.

Yes, you will have to go into the bios, and perhaps set DOCP/XMP and/or select the correct speed in a drop down tab. Not too hard to do.

To answer your other question, there is a chance the DIMMS will set at default speed 2133/2400, but like I said it's 3 clicks in the bios and your done. It's not hard. You won't break anything.

Just to be clear though, with an Intel system you will have to do the same for getting the DIMMS to work. Set by XMP or menu, save and exit bios and BOOM, your done.

You seem to be hung up on using the bios. Don't be. It's not so scary ;)

cronos8787

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
Tnx for answers I will know to set up speed in BIOS, but problem is that I read that some people after setting speed in BIOS to let say 3200mhz (and they have 3200Mhz sticks) - after reboot RAM is still working on default speed.
So is there a chance that RAM will not work on desired speed after setting that in BIOS and rebooting PC?

I read that RAM with 3200mhz is giving around 5-10 fps more in games than RAM with default speed of 2133mhz. If that is not true I really dont care about RAM speed.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
So I bought the same cpu and motherboard. Bought this one below and it looks amazing. Runs at 3200mhz no issues. It's on the qvl list. The only one on the list higher in the same price range is Kingston 3466 hyper x or maybe another model. I want to say the Kingston was a little more.

https://www.viper.patriotmemory.com/viperrgbdram

Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz 16GB Kit - Black - RGB Color Profiles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CX2X83Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wtF4BbKK1JZYZ

This will 100% run at 3200mhz. From what i understand it should overclock higher because of being b die, but I haven't tried, I'm fine with 3200mhz. Not sure how much it really matters now. I ran taiphoon burner and it shows right at the top Samsung b die

If you really want Kingston check the list. It's right there on the msi webpage for the motherboard. They have several Kingston models.

With the patriot, I just turn it on go into tomahawk bios and hit xmp 3200 and benchmarks show 3200. Then I put xmp off and just changed the frequency to 3200 and works fine. Not sure which is better, but currently frequency on 3200 xmp on. No matter which way there is no complicated set up just set it and go. Very simple

Solution

No, of course you should be aiming to use XMP/DOCP. This is the best. It will have tighter timings and higher memory bandwidth as a result. Setting them by the drop down menu will leave timings on auto. Setting on XMP/DOCP is always better. You can of course set all the timings manually, which will give the same result as XMP.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
What video card are you going to use? Went from an i5 4460 on a rx480 and really noticed a big difference with the 2600. Sometimes the cpu would be a bottleneck and now I more often will see the GPU at 100% eith much room to spare on the cpu side. Time for a 1070ti or 2060!!

One thing I would recommend is noctua nhu14s or any decent cooler. This thing doesn't even hit 60c after hours of gaming. Also I would say don't overclock unless you really really need too.

The built in boost is amazing. With good board and cooling it boost me between 3.85 / 3.95 on all cores when gaming so no need to even OC most the time. Make sure to put Windows power on balanced. If it's on high it always run at max frequency no matter what. When on balanced it might run at 1500mhz or 3900mhz based on what is needed. I spent a while trying to solve why my cpu is always at max frequency

Good luck.

cronos8787

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
I will be using gtx1060 6 gb. My last PC which is stolen had i5 4570 with gtx 1060 6 gb, so now with this ryzen I will see smoother experience.
I will add cooler later.

Thanks.