Question Please help me with laptop temperatures

kristalshards

Prominent
Nov 6, 2019
Ok so I have an ASUS TUF Gaming FX504GM laptop and I'm usually playing Battlefield 1 on it in my free time. That means usually for about 1-2 hours. Anyway laptop's all good except its temperatures. I've re-pasted both GPU and CPU, I've tried undervolting, I've used Overboost fan mode (it's something that make the fans go noisy and apparently they should help with the cooling) and the temperatures still reach 75-76 degrees. Some people would say these temperatures are ok for a laptop but it's above my comfort zone to be fair. I mean I'd prefer somewhere in the low 70s range, 71-72 max.

So I don't know what else to do. It's probably unlikely that I'll find a magic method to reduce temperatures a few degrees. I mean even with undervolting I noticed no change. Absolutely no change. I don't understand how that can happen but yeah.

And one more thing - https://www.upload.ee/image/10675707/pic.png

In this picture, in Resource Monitor, you can notice Maximum Frequency is above 100% despite the CPU being under minimal load. But to give you even a more clear example, this morning I turned my laptop on and Resource Monitor popped up and it had Maximum Frequency somewhere above 110%! Why I don't know, there's was no software opened and I turned off most startup programs.

Also in HWMonitor, in the Voltages panel, I noticed there's quite a fluctuation in the VID #0, VID #1 values and when that happens, the temperatures also increase (in idle). What's up with that?

The temperatures are good for that laptop model and CPU. The CPU is designed to run at even hotter temperatures than what you have seen. When the CPU gets too hot it will thermal throttle to a lower frequency. Also, that picture shows the system running in a slightly elevated idle state using 12watts with 4% CPU usage. Don't worry about it, since nearly all laptops running Intel run at 65-85C, and you might break it if you keep opening it to make it run cooler. You likely already voided your warranty.

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
Like @Third-Eye all ready stated, those temps are pretty ok for laptop running a pretty demanding game as BF1.

If the temps are outside of your comfort zone try getting a laptop cooling pad. There are many different out there that will surely help to get it down to 71-72 as you would like to.

kristalshards

Prominent
Nov 6, 2019
Like @Third-Eye all ready stated, those temps are pretty ok for laptop running a pretty demanding game as BF1.

If the temps are outside of your comfort zone try getting a laptop cooling pad. There are many different out there that will surely help to get it down to 71-72 as you would like to.
I have a cooler but it's sort of useless.
I still feel there's an issue with the voltage I don't know why. These VID values fluctuate way too much. I opened my gf's laptop last night, also an ASUS and although these VID values were changing, they weren't as wild as the values I see on my laptop.
Not to say that a 2 years old laptop that's never been cleaned of dust and stuff had similar temps like my laptop. Lol.

kristalshards

Prominent
Nov 6, 2019
Ok so I think I found a solution to the fluctuating VID values.

I've changed the Power Plan to Power Saver and I've got these results.

pic.png

The CPU clocks are at 40% but it's enough for me to do my work. However, I'm curious if the laptop will turbo boost on this power plan when I kick in BF1 or some other games.
Also you can see the temps barely got out of the 50 degrees range which is good and also VID barely got higher than 0.650V which is good as I experienced even 1.200V on Balanced power plan.
This aside, I'm wondering what's changed between the two power plans and if I can create a hybrid between these two.

Cheers.