Please help me with my new power supply.

Bulls123

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
Hi guys, i just bout a power supply which's a 400 watts by cooler master to replace my old dell one which is 244 watts and i have a new video card also nvidia gtx 650ti 2gb anyways when i installed the power supply and pressed power, the cpu and pc fans span then right after that it stopped and the power supply started making loud clicking noise but no smoke/burning smell came out of the power supply,when i looked at the back of the power supply the voltage switch was on 115 is't possible that the psu is on wrong voltage ? there is another option on the voltage switch with is higher, if i changed the voltage switch would my psu work fine or should i change the psu for another one ? thanks for anyone who helps :)

It has to be set at the Voltage of your Country. In the UK and Europe and other places, it is 220v to 240v 50hz. That is the higher of the two settings. Most PSUs and other stuff these days don't have that switch as it will be done automatically. The adapter for my Laptop is and example. All I need is an adapter to plug it into the recepticle. The adapter will adjust to the power.

Bulls123

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks for the help @coastie65 i will try to set the voltage to the highest one then i will post if it worked here, for now it's too late gonna do it tomorrow so goodnight.

UPDATE: i put the voltage to 230 instead of the 115 and the psu is not turning on so that means it's dead and i have to get another one.