Please help me with my slow as f#"* hard drive

stevenmc2012

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
my d drive is really slow the average response time is in the 1000s and active time is always 100 please help i took this screen shot when i was download a game on steam

also i bought a new hard drive to counter the problem but its not the hard drive so.
It also does this when i just play a game that's on my d drive ? my hard drive is
http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/consumer/upgrade/desktop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/
SZd32nT.png

Solution
Hi there stevenmc2012,

I've come across cases where this high disk usage was caused by a faulty power cable. So, it would be really nice to attach the drive with different SATA and power cables to another port. You can use the cables from your other drive.

What is your OS? Did you make sure this is not caused by some OS services?

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
I personally wouldn't have purchased a hybrid drive for a "game/data" drive. Also, it appears that your download speed is barely doing anything at the moment of snapshot, so you could have another problem altogether. I have noticed with my setups that occasionally a hard drive will say 100% but have limited read writes going on, it could be the types of files being read/written that is causing that. If the drive isn't running poorly while playing the games that are installed on it, I wouldn't necessarily worry about what Task Manager says.

stevenmc2012

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

when im not download anything or playing a game on it the active time goes to 0 as it should so no weird background task going on its just went so slow could it be something to do with my power or sata cable because i used the same sata cable as the last hard drive (witch was also having this problem)

bailojustin

Distinguished
You have a bad cable, or you NEED a new harddrive. This is critical as the stats I see and the problem your describing is hard drive failure. The reason when your doing nothing its aactive time is 0 is because its doing nothing.

When you start a download or game, it has to re-read that same information on your damaged drive several times, this is where the disk que comes in, so every task after that one is now in a disk que.

I would highly reccomend a hybrid drive and use a regular for storage. To be quite honest, I would never get a physical hard disk drive in this age anymore, to much room for failure. especially when your most valuable and critical information about your life is stored on something so fragile.

REPLACE YOUR DRIVE, Use a backup program to save your files. I would NOT use this drive any more, the more reads/writes is the more you are destroying the drive.

for those who wonder,
The reason why when you buy a 1tb drive and its only like 970gb or 256gb drive and its 240gb is the extra space you cannot see is left from the factory, this space is allocated for bad sectors. when the drive startts going bad if the disk cant write or read a sector it will mark it as bad, which then allocates it to this extra space, so it is never used again, this space will fill up and once it maxes out, then thats when you see the issue you are having, because its being forced to use bad sectors.

stevenmc2012

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

i just bought this hard drive because the old hard drive had the same problem so i bought a new one witch is this one so i think its the cable. it cant be the hard drive

stevenmc2012

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

would it be the sata cable ?

bailojustin

Distinguished

if you have speccy or HDtune, then please give me a quick post of the smart attributes.

To make 100% for you, I need you to download HDtune. now send me the picture of the smart attributes. run the tests error tests and everything, please post me the links to your results, files or pictures. I need to see the SMART attributes.

stevenmc2012

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

ok got it downloaded and doing the tests

stevenmc2012

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

http://imgur.com/a/pHauH

here u go all the tests

bailojustin

Distinguished
End-to-End error is your Hard Drives problem
It needs to be replaced, this is often the PCB cache, or the hard drive cache going bad. thats why disk que lengths are tremendous is there is no valid cache to store the information in for writing.

End-to-End error indicates that the drive's on-PCB cache is going bad. The attribute is used to compare parity data between the original piece of data sent by the controller (in your PC/system) and the drive itself. It's bad cache on the Hard Drive.

To the best of my knowledge this is my best educated guess pulling from information I have seen and been given from OP.

stevenmc2012

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

my computer is noises but i think its just my fan of computer

so. what should i do buy a new cable or ???
please link a good cable or solution i can buy

Hi there stevenmc2012,

I've come across cases where this high disk usage was caused by a faulty power cable. So, it would be really nice to attach the drive with different SATA and power cables to another port. You can use the cables from your other drive.

What is your OS? Did you make sure this is not caused by some OS services?

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution

bailojustin

Distinguished

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-18-Inch-Cable-Locking-90-Degree/dp/B009GUXU52

Why don't you have a pagefile? If it was intentional thats fine some people disable this with large amounts of ram, but I personally would not, as it can lead to system instability.
to add a page file go to computer, system properties, andvanced system settings, under the (advanced) tab, inside the performance settings, Now go to advanced and change the "Virtual Memory" and set your pagefile to auto.
some people disable this with large amounts of ram, but I personally would not, as it can lead to system instability.

TRENDING THREADS