Please help me with the seat sink fan!

madu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Hi guys..

I just got myself a AMD64 +3700 and a DFI Lanparty Ultra D mobo.
I came home and started to assemble the parts. I always make my own cpu's but this time encountered something I didnt think of before.
Guys.. in the AMD booklet they have mentioned that I have to used it with a thermal interface material. What is this? please forgive my amerturishness. Do I have to out a seat sink paste before I can fix the fan? There is kind of a grey color strip on the heat sink that came with the processor. I thought there is a strip that I have to take off and accidentaly touched that grey surface slightly. Is it bad guys? What do I have to do? Do I need to apply a paste before I can put the fan or can I put like this? I have already put the processor into the mobo socket and just left it like that. Hope thats fine as long as I dont power on.
Please tell me what to do guys! I'm waiting till your answers to do anything.. thanks heaps guys..

Cheers..
Madu..

leorick

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
oh the gray stuff? that's the thermal pad that comes with the heatsink. that should be sufficient thermal interface between the cpu and the heatsink for 1st time installation. but if you remove the heatsink again, that thermal pad will be ruined and that's the time you need to use a thermal compound or thermal paste.

i hoped u didn't scratched the thermal pad already :D

madu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
HI..

I did not scratch it, i thought there is a cover i have to peel off. so i tried to take off and then realized there is not. there is a slight finger print and a small scratch about 3mm. is it ok? have i ruined it?
please tell me guys..

Thanks..

No. It will still work. I've reused thermal paste by scraping off the residue, and reapplying it with a single edge razor blade. All you're doing is filling in the fine spaces on the surface for good contact.