Question Please help me with undervolting Radeon VII

iSoLateD1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I would like to undervolt my Radeon VII but am unsure what settings to use. I would like to increase stability (I had a few games crash and instability issues), and also reduce my power draw, without running the fan too loud and am unsure what settings I should dial into Wattman. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

koson123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018
decreasing voltage will not increase stability it will only do the opposite. if you want to increase stability generally i would increase voltage, downclock, and ramp up the fans. it is extremely possilbe though that you have no problem here and the only problem is with the game. if this is not the case get a replacement card from the manufacturer.

Reactions: ElectrO_90
Are you sure the source of the crashing isn't your system RAM?

Undervolting will improve FREQUENCY stability. Aka, the clock frequency would stay at the max instead of possibly throttling back.
In terms of GAME stability (not crashing) lower voltage will make that worse.

If your voltages are on auto, that's your most stable situation, but also your most power hungry.

Here's an undervolting guide I did for AMD Polaris cards. Obviously you can't copy that voltage- frequency curve, but it gives good info on what the settings in WattMan do.

Just like CPU tweaking, you'll have to test stability for the settings you choose.