pinkpanther8

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
Hi, my current rig is:
gigabyte 970a ds3p mobo
sapphire r9 380 2gb dual x
8gb ram
amd fx 6300.

im planning to upgrade the gpu to xfx rx480 8gb gtr. would that be a good choice? my main game is battlefield 1. thanks

Solution

the only reason to upgrade is if your computer is unable to play the games you play.

ask yourself. does this game work well enough for me? does it look good? is it stuttery?

if no, which is your case, (expecially on medium settings I bet you get 80 fps) then just leave it alone. no reason to spend more money

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
I have a near identical computer. just bought the xfx rx480 8gb GTR.

being as you have the R9 380 I do not recommend an upgrade. your graphics card is a year and a half old. I'm sure the R9 380 can play BF1 on ultra in 1080P with 45 fps. there is really no reason to upgrade.

having said that the XFX RX480 GTR is the best 480 on the market and if you had been coming from an older card like the 7970 or a R9 270 I would have said yea upgrade to it. your current situation doesn't seem to call for an upgrade however.

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

the only reason to upgrade is if your computer is unable to play the games you play.

ask yourself. does this game work well enough for me? does it look good? is it stuttery?

if no, which is your case, (expecially on medium settings I bet you get 80 fps) then just leave it alone. no reason to spend more money

Solution

Seriously? The first thing I do when I get a game is I personally set the resolution to my monitor's native resolution, then I set the settings as high as they go. Then, using whatever method of seeing framerate you prefer, run the game or the game's benchmark if it has one. If it's high enough to make you happy, YAY! If not, next go to the game options and lower things to the next highest setting, repeat the benchmark. Once you find the sweet spot you can stop there OR do what I do. Start raising things you like, like textures for example, and trade off by lowering other things that aren't as important to you, such as shadows.

Eventually you'll have the game looking as good as possible while keeping the framerate as high as possible. The last thing I do is accept the game's default choices for me.