Question Please help my Cpu was showing 100°C for i don't know how long

Nov 20, 2019
I went in to bios to check on overclocking my Cpu because I got a very low score on a benchmark and I was like wtf and went to check bios
First thing I see is that the temp is 100°C and I immidiatly go back out of bios and download a Realtemp since I thought it could not be right. It showed 98°c fluctuating.
I shut down the pc and opened the case I felt the Coolermaster cooler and it was not that hot. I felt the on the place the cpu is and it was pretty cold aswell. I'm going to check the cooling paste tomorrow. Any advice

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the thermal paste can't isolate the cpu heat form the heatsink, if yo feel temperature it lemans it is being translated form the cpu to the heatsink

it doesn't harm to change that thermal paste, but if it is not older than a year, is a waste of time

tell us details of your system, motherboard, cpu, heatsink used, more information

don't forget that a cpu often can work at such high speeds, it just reduces cpu core speed to avoid shutting down

also we can't rule out a dead temperature sensor, that might report temperatures wrong

anyway, that is speculation, tell us more details of the system

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2019
the thermal paste can't isolate the CPU heat form the heatsink, if yo feel temperature it lemans it is being translated form the cpu to the heatsink

it doesn't harm to change that thermal paste, but if it is not older than a year, is a waste of time

tell us details of your system, motherboard, CPU, heatsink used, more information

don't forget that a cpu often can work at such high speeds, it just reduces cpu core speed to avoid shutting down

also we can't rule out a dead temperature sensor, that might report temperatures wrong

anyway, that is speculation, tell us more details of the system

My thermal paste is 3 or 4 years old, im gonna head into town to get some today and switch it.

Intel Core i7-6700K-
Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB
MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A12)
Cooler master Tx3 cooler

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Push-pin style coolers are tricky to get mounted correctly. Once you've gotten the new paste and apply it to the cpu:
Secure the top-left + bottom-right pins at the same time. They have to CLICK. Then do the same with the remaining 2 - the CLICK is important.

Nov 20, 2019
I switched paste, had some trouble getting the Cooler down. It idles at around 45-50C and i can play games not on steam whitout problem. Any time i start steam though it Goes to 99% Cpu usage and i have to shut steam down before it overheats

CPU usage on a quad core will be at/near 100% in pretty much any game these days...

See what your clock speeds are under sustained load...; single core activities should burst to 4.2 GHz, with all core load at ~3.9GHz...(even a marginal cooler should keep you at 80C under load, where the better ones should cool you to ~60C, assuming you do not have a ridiculous core voltage applied...

Idle temps should be at ~35C if/when cpu is actually idling, with nothing going on, if clock speeds go down to 800 MHz when just looking at the desktop, etc...

(What cooler are you using? I think I'd oull it and check that perhaps a clear protective sticker was not inadvertently left on the underside, preventing heat transfer to the sink, assuming it is locked down evenly/snugly...; it is indeed concerning when you say it is not even really that warm)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I switched paste, had some trouble getting the Cooler down. It idles at around 45-50C and i can play games not on steam whitout problem. Any time i start steam though it Goes to 99% Cpu usage and i have to shut steam down before it overheats
That's too high for idle temps.
It depends on your room temp, but I'd think it should be closer to 40C or lower.

CPU usage on a quad core will be at/near 100% in pretty much any game these days...

See what your clock speeds are under sustained load...; single core activities should burst to 4.2 GHz, with all core load at ~3.9GHz...(even a marginal cooler should keep you at 80C under load, where the better ones should cool you to ~60C, assuming you do not have a ridiculous core voltage applied...

Idle temps should be at ~35C if/when cpu is actually idling, with nothing going on, if clock speeds go down to 800 MHz when just looking at the desktop, etc...

(What cooler are you using? I think I'd oull it and check that perhaps a clear protective sticker was not inadvertently left on the underside, preventing heat transfer to the sink, assuming it is locked down evenly/snugly...; it is indeed concerning when you say it is not even really that warm)
OP's cooler: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-tx3-evo/
One of those difficult push-pin types.

Nov 20, 2019

Steam was doing something weird but I went in to settings ND activated "low performance mode" and it went down to under 1 % for steam. I tried to play pubg and got like 55-65% usage and it stayed at 70°C. I think it has fixed it

Nov 20, 2019
Steam was doing something weird but I went in to settings ND activated "low performance mode" and it went down to under 1 % for steam. I tried to play pubg and got like 55-65% usage and it stayed at 70°C. I think it has fixed it

It's a cooler master tx3 so it's not the best. Can confirm there was not a protective sticker on the bottom, I think it was not seated properly or the thermal paste did not work anymore

plotinusredux

Commendable
Nov 23, 2017
Something is badly wrong if Steam is hitting 100% usage on a 6700k without setting it to low performance. I'd try uninstalling and re-installing Steam--if that doesn't fix it, check task manager to see if Steam is really the process running 100% or if something else is doing it.

70C at @ 55-65% usage is still pretty hot, but obviously better than 100%. Have you tried running the benchmark again to see if you get severe throttling? Touch the fins themselves--if your CPU is running that hot and the fins are cool to the touch, you've still got a seating or thermal paste issue. If they are hot--what case are you using? Maybe it's not pushing in enough air. If they are pushing in enough air--you paid for a decent processor, you might consider buying a better cooler to get the most out of it. Anything Noctua is good.