[SOLVED] Please help my friend

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
My friend downloaded a file from this link:Removed by Moderator
Browsers randomly display ads and even sometimes 18+ things
He said that when he opened the file there were strange files and he deleted them but he is getting popup ads
Please help my friend

Last edited by a moderator:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Are there any other options?

Without knowing specifically what virus(es) the computer is infected with, likely not. Since the link was "clicked on" to install any existing AV may or may not have caught it, might have even tried to warn not too (even Defender is decent for that), but once it's in there it will be very hard to connect to a site to download an AV solution/cleaner or if it will even see it as a problem being "pre-existing".
You might could try booting safe mode and see if there were any system restore points. I would anticipate that even if it has one and allows you to go back, the virus will likely re-propagate quickly.

Aside from the sheer ickyness of it, this is one of the big reasons that pirating is such a bad idea.

Reactions: SawmMawia

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Remove storage and scan with other pc with updated av. Full scan. Return storage and if os is damaged, do repiar

This may or may not work as the "other" computer will likely not have access permissions. I have had mixed luck with trying this and specifically could put the other system at risk of being infected as well. Two birds with one stone would not be so pleasing an outcome for this...

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
Without knowing specifically what virus(es) the computer is infected with, likely not. Since the link was "clicked on" to install any existing AV may or may not have caught it, might have even tried to warn not too (even Defender is decent for that), but once it's in there it will be very hard to connect to a site to download an AV solution/cleaner or if it will even see it as a problem being "pre-existing".
You might could try booting safe mode and see if there were any system restore points. I would anticipate that even if it has one and allows you to go back, the virus will likely re-propagate quickly.

Aside from the sheer ickyyness of it, this is one of the big reasons that pirating is such a bad idea.
I told him to go to safe mode with networking and scan the whole pc with Malwarebytes but it didnt detect anything,i think its an adware,he said that there was no performance problems but browsers even when they are not open randonly open and display ads even when he is plagying games
Edit:My friend is using windows 7 so,i told him to just install a fresh windows 10 with keep nothing option,will it clearly fix the problem?

Last edited by a moderator: