Please help, my home built system is crashing!

Madmaxneo

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
First my system:
i7 4930k
32 gb (4x8gb) of G.skill 2133mhz RAM (in XMP)
Rampage IV Black Ed MB
Evga SuperNova 100watt G2
EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0
various HDDs and SSDs
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
First off I have had this system for about 2 yrs and it has been running strong and stable up til about 2 months ago.

About two months ago I started getting this issue where my screens will go completely black. At first I thought it may be the video card because in event viewer I was getting the repetitive error of "nvidia display driver has stopped responding and recovered" (though the screens would remain black). So I removed all OC and reflashed the video card bios. But the issue persisted. I then was able to catch my system when the error first occurred and checked event viewer after rebooting and there was nothing in event viewer at all to indicate an error on the video card. It seems though that if the system sits after getting the black screens I start getting the error described above.

-After some research I did a complete uninstall of the nvidia drivers using DDU and re-installed them via downloading the latest drivers from nvidia, using a clean install of course. It seemed at first this corrected the issue but a few days later the issue returned.

-Today, while I was working on my PC, I got a BSOD and my system restarted. Consequently I have come back to my PC a few times in the previous two weeks and noticed it had restarted with no indication as to why. I also checked event viewer and there was nothing to indicate there was any kind of error. I am a little confused on how to get to and read the minidump files on Windows 10...lol.

-I called evga about the card and they want me to test it in another system. Unfortunately I do not have another system here that I can test that video card with. I do have another video card that I could put in this system but it is only a 750Ti, so it would not push things (like the PSU) really well.

-I have an issue with my MB where it is stuck in turbo all the time. Meaning the system runs at 3.9ghz all the time with no OC. I am also unable to place any OC on my system. Asus wants me to adjust the timings on my RAM to different settings according to a specs sheet they sent me. I have been unable to do yet that due to life events....

-I also think it could just be my MB and I can send it in for an RMA, but I do not have a temporary replacement board. I would be out of luck with this system until it either got repaired or some other option from Asus. They are not able to send me an advanced RMA because the have none of this board in stock and will not be getting any either.

Does anyone think this could be an issue with my MB or cpu chip based on the issues above, instead of an issue with my video card? Or maybe even some other issue?

If you need any further information please ask.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
It could be your motherboard... Have you tried to reflash your mobo BIOS? I would also suggest trying your system with the 750Ti anyway and see what happens. run prime95 or something similar and see if its stable. If it is the motherboard, it should still give you issues. Its highly unlikely that its your CPU.

Another possibility is that your PSU is going bad. The G2 is a good line of EVGA PSUs, but lemons still happen. It would be worth testing a different PSU if you have one around. Then you could really tease out whether its the mobo,PSU, or GPU.

Madmaxneo

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
I have reflashed the bios and it is the latest bios. I am going to do some other things like change my timings on my RAM (suggested by Asus tech support) and clearing out the bios by removing the battery. I will also put my 750Ti in but that will not tax my PSU at all because it does not require any extra power. So if changing the video card works it only singles out the MB and not the PSU or my 980.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Correct, if your 750 works, it would indicate that its either your GPU or PSU. Also keep in mind that you will never really stress your PSU, even with your GTX980 running at max (assuming the 100 is a typo and you have a 1000 Watt PSU). The GTX980 only uses 165W, with Nvidia recommending a minimum 500W PSU.

So between a PSU and Mobo, the most likely culprit is the PSU. You could potentially buy a cheap 600W PSU and test it out, then return it later and buy a good one if that ends up being the issue :p